Sunday 12 October 2014

Pewsey Lake Match Number 7.. The Fall Guy

Van loaded with minimal gear I headed north to the Pewsey lake to host match 7 the first of the 5 hour winter matches.  The foggy morning lux level gradually increased to reveal a calm late autumnal day. The morning sun was creeping over the shoulder of the eastern ridge and filling my rear view with a blood orange dawn sun.   After a particularly difficult week at work and recent car expenses and poor fishing matches.  I felt today had to be the far side of my troubles and things will be on the up. Sure it happens to all of us, but when its happening to me I do get paranoid that I only have bad luck within me.


Whatever I was determined to enjoy the day, after all that's why we go fishing isn't it to enjoy it?  The music of Katy Perry (and the thought of Katy Perry) coupled with the soundtrack of Mama Mia, was making me happy - a good first step.  I had minimal gear to get back to basics.  Over complicating things lately and giving myself too much to do or ponder.  The ghostly voice of my mate John Dewberry was whispering in my ear. "Keep it simple, do one thing well; rather than 5 things badly and the fish will come."

Early doors I thought we were going to be short today. I was certain most of the lads would be attending an open match on the Thames as a pre-practice to next weeks winter league.  This of course had its advantages. The lesser amount of anglers would ensure guaranteed championship points. However my love of river fishing meant I was jealous as hell, and if I was not the Lake match organiser I would have been joining them.

The lake attendance this year has been good with a mixture of new faces and the old and the bald. I hope I am wrong but it seems to be changing, some of last years regulars have hardly showed this year.  I for one miss them. Jim B and Gary P are missing today, but Will Tapper is back, and Robin Pierce and Nic Worters have filled in. Leos back is playing up, and Neil Pegrum is well into the show season for his avian collection.  With a late change of heart (fishing the open on the river) both Spanners and Chris Rushton show.  So its 14 pegs.  God knows what I am going to do when they all want to fish.  Pewsey must start looking for a bigger lake.  Shouldn't complain at the booming interest in our match scene but we are running out of room.

 Few grumbles at the continuing early draw but more likes than dislikes so we will keep it going.  Wonder how its going to fish today, the colour is dropping out of it and a test of the temperature shows its dropped to 9 degrees, 3 degrees lower than last months match. Going to have to search the thermal layers today to find the feeding fish.  After dropping all the peg counters I did the normal parish notices; and the draw got under way.  Peg 4 the golden peg had £70 riding on it.  Me I was hoping to get into section 2 needed to draw a double figured number for a change.  Either that or peg 2, as the lily pad is still quite big and must hold some fish.  But as normal section 1 and peg 7.

With Robin on my left and Spanners on my right, some pleasant company if the fish were slow today.  The all in called I a little nervous after 20 minutes not to have a bite.  Still no one else apart from Marc Kay and Brian Shutler , in the next section was catching Another hour !!! before I had more fist bite on the waggler a bumble bee Perch from far side. Another hour and another bumble bee, and still no one was catching.  This is dire, the leaves are falling and I am managing o hook plenty of em.  In fact nice little compost heap building at my peg.  Suddenly Robin has a 1ounce Perch and uses his landing net taking no chances on this very, very tough day.

A third tiny perch for me and I am practically running away with it now with 3 fish for an ounce maybe.  Spanners is bemoaning the awful situation and everyone else starting to form opinions as to where the fish are.  Clearly they are not in section one , as Chas, Spanners, Si Burden and Nic Worters still haven't had a a bite and its ten past mid day.  Bad news for me as news filters down that Steve H has had 8 tiny fish of the lilies so I am fishing for second in section.  The Lake has always been a tale off two sections.  In fact a few years ago it was decided to change the points system to make the lake fairer.  Instead of the 15 down to 1 as on the canal.  It was felt fairer to give 8 points to the section winner down to 1. Otherwise all you have to do was draw in section 2 to be guaranteed good points.

The float dips and the violence of the run catches me of guard and the much, much bigger fish drives hard into the snaggy, far bank and as quick as it was on it was off.  As it had straightened the fine wire B510 size 20.  I take the opportunity to scale down to a 24 and a single squat, and it results in a 2 ounce roach..  And that my friends is it. Not another fish from 10 past 12 till 2.30 and the end of the match.  Spanners, Chas and Robin are all long gone, probably eating roast dinner.  Nic and Si have one tiny Perch each, Steve H has maybe 30 micro fish.

So to the weigh in. My 4 fish amassing a huge 3 ounces.  Steve has 1 lb 8 oz and easily wins the section. Me, I amazingly get 7 points for second in the section. Nic and Si have a half ounce each enough to give them 6 points.
I would say all the fish are in the other section.  But even that section struggles. Steve Cross saving blushes of the end peg with a carp in the last 5 minutes ,but only Chris and the inevitable Brian Shutler showing skill and style.  Brian's 3 lb and 12 lb Carp making him the winner.
So what turned out to be a cold miserable day in the end comes to a close.  I check the water temp for fun and during the match its dropped from 9 to 5 degrees. With that sort of change no wonder feeding fish were few and far between today. I suppose that's why the Americans call it the fall.  Falling Temp and Falling Leaves.

Mid week match on the canal to come and then Winter League at Lechlade next Sunday.

 See you then.


No comments:

Post a Comment