Sunday 10 August 2014

Pewsey Lake Match 5 - A Ruffe weekend turns out not bad

Zak with a Carp from Pewsey Lake

Well you know what its like you look forward to it all week.  The sun is shining the office is hot and all you can think about is getting to the waters edge.  Your mobile is constantly bleeping with messages on face book of your mates ( who are on leave) bagging on the canal or at other venues.  Even the evening sessions are inexplicably stopped by the vagaries of life. All set to go Monday when Martin text me to say he had the money to by my back up pole.  New one on the way end of the month.

So it was over to his place and cancel the fishing.  Tuesday then, a few hours pleasantly emptying Milk-house which is fishing its nuts off, oh no not to be wife a little poorly and needed some company.

Wednesday then, but work gets in the way with a late afternoon issue putting pay to that.  Food shopping Thursday leaving a dead cert Friday. You've guessed that failed too.  Unloading the shopping and the wife says don't forget its your sisters Wedding Anniversary tomorrow night and we are going out for a meal.

So to Friday, just going out when the mobile rings and its Leo, bad news mate your days as a club record holder are over. Young Zak Phillips has just caught a cracking Ruffe (at Ladies Bridge) and beaten your club record.  I think he thought I would be upset, but in fact I was delighted further proof the security of Pewsey club is getting there. Some good youngsters coming through Zak, Jack Teagle and Morgan Plank, as well as young Sophie Spanswick great stuff.

Sunday has arrived and boy is different to the balmy days of the week past, the tail end of a hurricane having its last rough fling over Wiltshire. as I came over Everleigh ridge I couldn't see the valley floor of Pewsey Vale it was peeing down and thick with mist. Rolling Stones  Mick Jagger was belting out "Give me Shelter", but I couldn't see shelter any where.  I was going to be glad of the gore-tex today.

 Despite the weather the enthusiasm to go fishing has returned and I look forward to a day on the Lake.  Its fully booked, we have a couple of new members booked in and we are graced by a special guest appearance from Pewsey "Royalty" James Carty.  Great to have James on the bank; a shame  some of the juniors are not here to watch, and learn.  I hope the torrential downpour has not put too much cold water in and put the fish down.

Trying to keep the paperwork dry doing the draw is a pain.  Half the lads I know secretly laugh at my paperwork and organisation.  I am a bit of an old woman but I like admin to be squared away.  I think some of the lads think "Admin" is a small town in China!

So to the draw a couple of late withdrawals knocks the numbers back a bit but there is a reasonable put into the Golden Peg of £11 which added to £38 rollover  makes peg 10 (£49) worth a shout today.  The GP goes to Gary Perryman and as he will go all out for Carp it stands a chance of going.

Me I draw peg 4 and despite the weather cant wait to get going.  Never been a lucky peg for me; I am also feeling the pressure with James Carty one side
and Brian Shutler the other. I shout the all in through the noise of the woodland being battered all around us and the rain smashing into the Lake.  James is in straight away but the Carp drags him into a snag and is gone. 10 Minutes later he's in again and its Carp 2 James Nil.  Brian is thrashing away on the waggler and has landed a nice Chubb.  All this activity leads me to make the fatal mistake of ignoring my own plans and start chasing the superstars either side of me.

With the addition of news coming along that Si Burden is catching Carp and Chris Rushton has had 5 2 lb skimmers I am really panicking. Why I don't know long way to go yet.  I suppose I just don't want to be embarrassed and put up a reasonable show.  I am struggling to get a bite.  Eventually having tried many permutations settle on two pinkie on a 20, and shot spread out shirt button style catching roach on the drop.

But its a funny old day though as fast as you think you have it sussed the fish switch off.  So its a case of  rotating through the methods and styles and baits.  The match moves on and its coat on, coat off as the weather changes.  Brian and I are fairly level but for his Chubb.

 James however is showing his class in hitting a purple patch with a clonking Perch and other fish that sees him shipping out the landing net regularly.  By two o'clock I am going nowhere and decide to emulate Brian fishing the waggler shallow against the far bank. Nothing.  So I try the feeder and the rod rips around as a Carp goes solid under a tree on the right of my swim.

 Yet another change, back to waggler.  Heavier line (4 lb) now a size 14 hook with 5 maggots.  Spraying bait, the float dips and I strike into a Chubb.  At last I get one in and I am back on terms with Brian. The match reaches its last 20 minutes and I am ahead of Brian but behind James.  Then there is a huge swirl and Brian is into a Carp.

The all out is called and the weigh in begins.
James scrutinizes the result but must be happy with his weight. 11 lb 4 oz of silvers.  Me next and I am knowhere and can only hope for good section points. I reckon around 5 lb for my net.
 Brian next and if not for the Carp at the end I would have beaten him.  All the better weights coming from the other end with Chris Rushton and Simon Burden leading the way.

Three lads did not weigh in, with Vinny going home after breaking his number 5 section.  Martin also broke his pole. Steve Dean pipped by half an ounce by Roly. However once again Simon Burden filled his net with 11 Carp for 31 lb + and 4 and half of silvers. CRs so called 5 x 2 lb skimmers were not that big after all but worthy of third place.

So some different faces this week, left to right Si, James and Chris.  Three generations of the same family me thinks , what do you think Grand dad, Dad and Son!!

 They all leave with a pocket full of money. Well done lads.

So van loaded I whack on the vibes and appropriately 'Fish' adds his vocals to the musicians of Marilion and the melodies of "Lavender's blue dilly dilly" fill my ears as I drive home under the blue Wiltshire skies, this mornings bad weather forgotten.

See you next week on the Cut.




No comments:

Post a Comment