Sunday 17 August 2014

Pewsey - Derricks Stretch and a sting on my end!!!

Gagging for it today, if a little grumpy at being in the first day of my fifth decade, but where better to spend it than with the friendly faces at Pewsey DAA. Slight hangover, thanks to my mate, Maj Chris Carling for an very old expensive bottle of fine port, it went well with my favourite meal a Ploughman's with big hunk of cheese, and mound of pickle.

I know I have said it before but what a great bunch of blokes.  No matter the difference in ability there is no hassle, no nastiness, its worth working all week for Sunday with the lads.
Had a nice card from the wife, " for the man who has everything, from the woman who has to find it for him!" 

Along with other presents including info on a Stannah Stairlift, the SAGA traveler's pack, pair of zip up tartan booty slippers, and a Michael Parkinson's Sun Life insurance pen for the over 50's. Walked into Reids Tackle shop to be told I smell like an old peoples home and not to expect senior rates. 

Had a lovely pressie comprising of a hand made card from Christine Moody, shes one special woman. Tin of grumpy old git mints , box of chocs and a book " things to do when you're fifty".  Biggest shock of all was leaving the shop without paying for my squat, and then when I went back in Dave Moody refusing to take the money; and saying happy birthday mate. Still pinching myself on that one.

 Anyhow that's all behind me now onto the fishing.............

As if to prove how long I have been on the planet I listened to the tracks of my years, as I whizzed by the early bird Farmers bringing in the harvest trying to stay ahead of the inevitable rain.  The damp smell of brittle but damp corn stubble; wafts through the window on an unseasonably cool breeze.  Exciting thoughts of autumn, falling leaves and getting on the river for the winter league, come to mind. A reminder the season is only half over and despite being currently top of the Championship cant rest on any laurels - as if I would - need to keep it tight not make mistakes. 

Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Two Tone Ska, AC/DC, Slade, Elvis Costello, REM, Abba and Kool and the Gang (hope DM is reading - Celebrate good times mate). Finally as I arrived Bon Jovi and Living on a Prayer.  Lets hope I am not praying and my weekend continues with a good draw.  Don't really care just glad to be at the waters edge, with me mates. To think Pewsey has been going twice as long as me someone said. 

The glory match days of the 60's70's and 80's may have gone with hundreds of anglers on the bank for a "cut" match, teams of twenty and great competitions like the Woodbine challenge, later to become the Embassy.  Eveshams SKOL lager which became the John Smiths and the Birmingham AA "Big Un" attracting thousands of anglers.  To think 50 years ago Leicester AS won the Angling Times Winter League; could Pewseys recent revival 50 years later go that far lets hope so.

Dished out the bait bought at Reids yesterday. Paid my pools and dipped the hand in the hat " living on a prayer, whizzing around my head" Prayers not answered I am afraid, Peg 8 looked and was featureless.  The hangover was thumping and and I was not really ready or concentrating.  My normal a,b,c procedures were out of sync. Still the all in was called and down came the rain, and boy didn't it belt down. 20 minutes in and it relented a little, no bites yet but Chris Glover who has been living on the canal for a week was going strong having going straight across.

Eventually something takes my little red worm and my happiness is dashed as a crayfish is swung in.  Dispatched over my shoulder I go back in for a repeat performance.  In fact 4 Crayfish later I gave up on the choppy.

Ground bait and pinkie results in a bite after the bread had produced nothing. A gasp from the next peg as the elastic pulls strongly. Chris says that's blown it.  An hour gone and he has a 1 lb in the net I reckon and this was my comeback fish.

Sadly a Pike of a pound and half couldn't go in the net and didn't count. Big smile from Chris.  By the sound of things the second batch of cold rain and 6 boats in 25 minutes killed it for most of us.  Me I continued to scratch, down to a single squat and 24 hook tiny squat fish from the base of a tree opposite wont be enough for me.

Difficult day comes to an end and the points will be hard to come by today.  Just needed a few roach but couldn't get em going. As normal I say have 5 ounces and this time I think I am right.
The weigh in begins and I think Chris must have it, but there has been a few weights the other side of the bridge.

So the scores are totted up and the result announced and its been very tight.

Three way tie for third Leo, Derrick again (derrick picked up last time on this stretch) gonna have to rename it "Derricks" and Kev Chubb, Chris Glover second and Spanners the winner.  Brian Shutler sect by quadruple default and Steve Hiscock a worthy section also. The points will need sorting closely but I think its as follows but of course up to the match organiser

Spanners 15
Chris G   14
Leo 12
Derrick 12
Kev 12
Brian 9.5
Si Irwin 9.5
Mark Kay 8
Steve Hiscock 7
Si Burden 6
Me 5
Chris 4 
Martin 3
Dave George 2
Steve Dean 1

A selection of the money grabbers

Now you may have been wondering at the title of  the blog and a sting on my end.  Well busting for a pee when I got back to the van on Wilcot road.  Not being a brazen huzzy I slipped shyly between the van and the hedgerow and unzipped.  Looking nervously around I should have noticed the nettles in front of me, instead the wind got up and the nettles lashed my ... well you know what.

 I finished peeing quickly and turned  to cover myself and try and get rid of the pain. Derick was eyeing me suspiciously and Georger said water infection mate? as I held my parts gingerly.  No I said I have just stung the little fella and its bloody painful..

 As you can imagine I drove home with laughter ringing in my ears.

Roll on next week and the last of the summer leagues at Dodford, C'mon Pewsey





No comments:

Post a Comment