Monday 23 June 2014

Pewsey Summer League Round 2 - Psychedelic Man!

After missing last week due to ill health, I was hoping to shake off the continued unwell feeling at the wonderful venue of Horseshoe Lake.  The Carp societies home it was a silvers only 2 till 7 afternoon match. Meticulous preparations double and treble checking the kit.  New line on the feeder, and waggler rods.  New elastics in the top kits all go towards being ready for the day.  Not much need for prepping the bait, as normal the bait from Reid's tackle was exemplary.  The benefit of having an angler prepare your caster means it was perfect. Even the "Flyer" (Van) was feeling unwell so I decide to take "Kate" my cross country Volvo.
 Kate and I enjoyed the drive up, although the scenery was beautiful I did get twitchy when I saw the fields of (opium) Poppies, considering the opposition today was Swindon ISIS!

Of course in this case the ISIS was a reference to a section of the River Thames; and the fact that many Angling clubs in the Oxford-shire area adopt the ISIS name for their use.

Phew relief they are not the Wiltshire branch of the ISIS organisation in the news at the moment; so shouldn't react badly to the beating they were going to get today.


Wendy James with her backing group Transvision Vamp was telling me " she wanted my love" and baby should could have it. I am sure any red blooded man who was in his late teens or early twenties, between 85 and 1990 would agree.

So after the draw at the Bridge pub in Lechlade, we whizzed of to the venue.  It was nice to be in comfort, but I did miss the ability to pile tackle in to cover every eventuality.  As it turns out I was fishing next door to the peg I was on last year. Not good and as Shania Twain was singing on my arrival "That Don't Impress me much". Kill the vibes and start looking at the swim

This peg was shallower (max 4 feet) and stuffed with Canadian pond weed. Pegging was a bit dodgy, the Boilie Queens had not read the signs and had bivvied up in various swims.  After their refusal to move a hasty re-peg was required which meant my section was spread out over a massive area of the lake and there was no real continuity of us all fishing similar level playing field swims.  Still I suppose every venue has flying pegs and dog pegs.

My swim as I said was solid with weed , leaving me the same option as last year of trying to find a patch in it to fish. To be honest I struggled.

This year I was prepared and brought my 14 foot Drennan Acolyte  waggler, because in short it was ping magott, drop crystal dumpy waggler (fishing on the drop) in the amongst the baited area if the float dipped) strike and hold rod high to try and pull the fish through the weed.  

I decided to lob the feeder first, (cage feeder , pinkie and ground bait, chopped worm and mashed caster), whilst I started pinging maggot to bring the Rudd to the surface.  As with last year the first fish was a Carp (which of course don't count). I was just pinging the second pouch-full when the rod ripped out of its rest and I just caught the butt of it, as a violent Carp tore off.
A strange fish long, very wide across the shoulders and with a massive paddle of a tail.  Its mouth could have easily swallowed a golf or squash ball.  It was a low double. I was glad I had set up two landing nets one big one small.  Still it got the heart pumping in addition to destroying the swim.  So it was a good hour and a half later that I got my next bite.  Still not to worry the ISIS man on the next peg hadn't had anything yet. In fact looking around at what I could see nobody was catching much except over in the corner at the entrance to the lake Steve Dean and those around seemed to be pushing out the landing net.

The afternoon passed pleasantly, the sound of the lawns being mown on the trout lake behind us, only broken by the roaring motorcyclists ripping through Lechlade.  I think the overdose of antibiotics taken to enable me to attend today were starting to kick in. 

I was on my own personal trip as I watched the willow herb float gently around my head and onto the water.  Each piece of fluff resembled a snow flake falling on a silent winters morning in the countryside.  Each piece landing like a butterfly with sore feet on the water.

The psychedelic experience was complete as my normaly poor hearing detected a humming from the masses of Damsel flies that were lining up along my waggler rod like Swallows departing from telegraph wires at the end of summer. The boilie queen to my left seemed to think he had carte blanche to "spod" his bait copiously far and particularly wide into my swim.  So off the peg and walked around to him .

Excuse me mate appreciate you have to feed your swim, but you are now landing your spod in my swim.  I would be grateful if you could keep within the tramlines of your peg we are fishing a match here, says I.  The blank look of incomprehension said it all.  The expletives and explanation that he was bating up (clearly!) made me feeling like walking away and giving it up as bad job.  However an explanation from me that if he didn't show a little more consideration, I would show him how a spod can resemble a sex toy in where it can be inserted.............. He climbed back in his bivvy.

I did manage a few bites later on but suffered the frustration of losing fish in the weed way to often.  Even those I got to the net were covered in pond weed, and easily flipped of the barbless hook with a little twist and turn.  I was starting to get mildly angry, maybe the floaty effect of the anti biotics was wearing off. With a few minutes to go ISIS man on my right who only had one fish then hooked and landed a Tench. That's torn it me thinks as I had been watching Steve Dean and others across the lake catch regularly. So the all out was signalled by the hooter and the weigh in began and what a weigh in, the massive (distance) section took an age. Quick messages on the mobile phone meant I felt reasonably confident I reckoned I had 3 lb and the message was some weights were as low as an ounce!

 Results below:


Clanfield on end peg had 10 lb + and with other weights in the ounces, the Pewsey contingent had showed well except PMG 4 who were one team member short.
Leo had won the section for P2 , ISIS 2nd and Clanfield again in top 3.

C Section my section despite my reasonable weight , 

I had been beaten like a ginger step child; and was disappointed to be so low down, if only with the lost fish he ho.  Well done to Steve Trevett in PMG 1 2nd, and particular well done to Steve Dean for his third pushing Clanfield and ISIS down the leader board. 

D Section well done to Derek Hillier knocking down the Clanfield crowd and Isis.  Chris Rushton doing the biz for PMG 1 and Danny Jones; despite his worry that 12 oz wasn't enough his points were still better than mine. Commiseration to Lee Knight few days before had practiced and bagged 25 lb.

So the lads enjoy a post match socializing drink while the scores are totted up.
Its been tight and with some teams drawn on points its a weight count back.


Points first, Clanfield(16) take the win and PMG 2 and 3 tie(17) with PMG 1 faltering with 18.  Poor old PMG manfully bringing up the rear after being one man down, due to a no show.

League Position after 2 matches.  Not sure on this seemed to have cocked up on photo.
But if I have it right PMG 1 are 4th on the day, Swindon ISIS 8th that's a result, PMG 2 are second . PMG 3rd by virtue of count back on weight. Clanfield the winners. Ill confirm later.

Well done to Steve Trevett highest placed PMG member on the day.

Back on the cut next week its Ladies Bridge - yippee!!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment