Sunday 8 June 2014

Pewsey Lake Match 3 and its the Life of Brian!!

Dave "Georger" George
Firstly a big get well soon. Went to Tackle shop yesterday to pick up bait etc, where normally I would see all the normal gang getting bait for the weekend matches and throwing the normal good hearted abuse and banter in each others directions in addition to getting a sneaky peak at who's buying what and whats hot .  

I said to Dave and Christine Moody, "did you see the blog last week?" DG did well.  "Didn't you know - came the reply - Georger has suffered a heart attack!".  I went bloody cold and was genuinely shocked I knew he was a little poorly, and I had noted after last weeks match he was struggling to get up the bank with his kit, and in fact offered and did help - if a little late.  Hope that struggle didn't add to or bring on the attack.

Still the good news is hes out of hospital (see told you last week Jedi powers). Rumour has it with the help of his friends (carrying him and his tackle to the bank) he will be on the "bank" this weekend!!!  He truly must be using the force.  May the force be with you mate, and speedy recovery.

To the match........

After the Thunder and lightning ( I love thunder storms) and jet black clouds of yesterday, the day broke beautifully to a proper summers day.  So after the normal morning chores the consumption of a meagre breakfast and a catalogue of drugs for my own issues which considering the above pale in significance. Van loaded I plugged in the toon-age and started getting "jiggy with it" bright and cheerful tunes from Katy Perry,'M' People, Chaka Khan and as Sylvester was currently singing, I was feeling "mighty real".  As I got to the lake I was already surprisingly warm (hot flush) so it was appropriate the last tune before fishing was Snoop Dog and "Sweat"

Anyway back to me (my favourite subject according to the wife). Find a parking space and unload, make sure I have the scales, boards, golden peg money, booking in sheet, draw bag, camera, my bait, Ian's bait; oh and most of all Fishing Tackle.  Lot of tackle today as well.  When your fishing the Lake the difference in the pegs is quite marked.  For example the far end of the lake the lake widens, so the Carp tend feed better there as they push across to the far side away from the bank side disturbance.  I have been gagging for today to come the Lake is fishing really well.  I say that guardedly as with all waters they all fish better when not under that "organised match" pressure.  Come match days although everyone will catch I am sure the weights wont be big on some pegs.

Lower attendance today as some of the lads are on their annual (jolly boys week) filling their nets with the slab Bream of Ireland - lucky gits. Plus three no shows. So only a disappointing 11.  Still the mood was good banter and friendly abuse/ mickey taking was rife.  Re jigged the pegs so section 1 ran from three to nine, and sec 2 10 to 14.
Draw underway and Spanners draws an end peg 14, boy that boy can draw.  All the double figure pegs are capable of Carp, so I was after 12 , but that one went to Roly. I drew 9 and Brian 10. So for the second Lake match in a row we were side by side. Hope its not the same result.

Brian fished right across at 17 meters last time on 9. I couldn't do that today the trees had grown thicker and more droopy than a month ago, and my way was blocked how frustrating. Brian is affectionately known as "lucky" .  That is angling speak for skillful angler "we" the other anglers cant accept so it has to be luck.  I don't think so hes just bloody good.

The match started at a frantic pace with Brian and me fish for fish for a while before his started to be a slightly better stamp and he began to creep away.  He was kind enough to give me a little worm for hook bait but as I had left my worm at home I didn't have enough to cup in.  This I think left me short of one or two good Perch in the swim.

Half the match gone and its dead in my swim and I am getting increasingly frustrated at not being able to access the carp cruising under the trees opposite.  Brian is now into a waggler caught Carp around 5 lb
In the other section they are all catching Carp etc, Neil Pegrum has around 6 x 2 pounders, Roly and Si are also on Carp but surprisingly Spanners is quite on the end peg.  In my section Steve Hiscock has had a 4 lb Chubb and Chas apparently has a small Carp. So I have my work cut out to get section points, absolutely no chance of winning anything unless a shoal of feeding Carp get their heads down in my swim.

 I must offended this Lake at some point, when I am pleasure fishing it I really bag and always catch Carp; but in a match I just cant seem to get the Carp going.

So by the end its tight in my section between me and  Steve H, have enough to beat his 4 lb Chubb.  My net says its going to be tight no big fish loads of little ones a 1 lb skimmer and a 1 lb + Hybrid Roach / Bream
We start the weigh in and the first surprise is end peg Ian Spanswick has not had any Carp and only a small bag of silvers, highly unusual for him.  Neil on the next peg has bagged a load of small 2 to 3 lb Carp to easily win the match and with only 1 ounce between Si and Roly take the section as well. 

Scores on the doors below. Neil first, Brian second and Si third by 1 ounce. Me well consolation of top section points as I pip Steve Hiscock and Chas Shorts Carp.


So destroyed off the next peg by Brian two in a row on the lake.  Still as Its the Life of Brian, I should "always look on the bright side of life" and move forward.

So to the top three photo, which looks like a WWF Wrestling tag team with Si (right) being the corner man, well done lads good going.  Enjoyed today everyone caught something and the Lake continues to produce.


See you mid week as I have a match with my work colleagues. 



No comments:

Post a Comment