Sunday 16 February 2014

Sunshine, Warmth and Skimmers on the Zoomer

Signed of last week by saying see you all mid week on the Canal. What a WALLY. Completely got my dates wrong.  Despite my joy at winning last week, those present will attest to the hacking cough breathlessness and general flu like symptoms.  Went to work monday only to be sent home ill, and by Tuesday night I was in fairyland hallucinating having overdosed on shop bought drugs.  Docs on Wednesday settled things down a bit as the shop bought drugs were dropped and proper anti-biotics were being force fed.  So it was with sadness that I knew fishing wasn't to be this week- or was it?

I should have been fishing the Toyota Super league; but I had returned my invite and gave up a hard won place in the syndicate, so that I may concentrate my efforts on supporting Pewsey Club for the coming season.  Sad though, I could have been bagging at the "Orchard  Lakes" Venue in New Milton New Forest famed for its massive bulging keep net weights.

Friday saw a slight improvement, but more horrendous weather saw trees down near my house, flood water in the local pub and village hall as the river kept rising and now a power cut.

Power back on 36 hours later in the early hours of Sunday.  Well done and thanks to the Southern Electric guys working round the clock. Felt a little better still today and decided to make the most of the nice sunshine, no wind!!! and springlike conditions to repair the garden fence find my dispersed chickens. Opened the garage to let the beautiful day in, and dry out my kit. God what a mess it had become over the past three weeks or so.  By noon I had most jobs done and tentatively broached permission from her indoors to go fishing.  After stating the bleeding obvious about my still poorly health etc etc etc she started to say Yes, before she could complete the word I was on the way watching her shrink in the rear view mirror.

The deal was home by 4?!  (4 hours) So 50 minutes travel time (thats both ways) tackle up a waggler and basics and tackle down again 25, should give me a 2.5 hours fishing. I can live with that.  So belted over Everleigh and into Pewsey Vale.  Thumping bass line from Billy Ocean singing "Love Zone" and I was grooving in the drivers seat.  Still a bit of a mover even at my age.  In fact as my Lady readers know already, at 18 Stone I am one big hunk of burning "LUV" lol.

Arrived at the Lake to find Chris Rushton in my winning swim from last week.  In fact he fished it yesterday as well; and why not?  With many parts of the country unfishable Pewsey offers some good winter fishing at the Lake and Canal.

Set up an ancient 5AAA Ivan Marks "Zoomer" float on 4 lb Maxima, to 2lb hook link and Kamasan  size 20 b520. Single maggot over bait in nearly 8 feet of water. What a day birds singing sun shining, not a breath of wind, and a real hint of the spring to come. Simple old fashioned fishing.  Decided to photograph the float and as I did it rose / lifted beautifully to indicate my first bite of the day.
I had time to put the camera down, before the float tilted slightly right, swirled a little and dip under just as I lifted the rod into it.  A pleasing arc in the rod and dogging head shaking feel from one of the new skimmers was my reward.
 And so came the next few precious hours drifted by pinging maggot over a baited area.  Occasionally casting a little longer past the baited area as the fish backed off.  Spooked by thrashing yes thrashing skimmers.  These don't come in like the traditional wet paper bag.  Interspersed with the occasional really fat Perch or nice roach, and some pleasant conversation from Chris on my right. The afternoon was nice, yes nice, not a word I use much.

 Chris was still catching on the Pole, some nice pristine Roach and fat Perch also.
Before I knew it the sun had dipped low and was reminding my hacking cough that winter temperatures are lower than the spring day that I thought it was.  So after 7 "peas in a pod" skimmers; and bits and bobs to make maybe 8 lb to please anyones day,it was time for home.  Chris decided to relinquish his grip on peg 12 as well and we packed up.

Another bag of fish for the excellent Pewsey Angler and all round nice bloke.

See you Wednesday "if" I have my dates right!!





1 comment: