Sunday 26 May 2013

The Festival - Part Deaux - Shuttler makes a point.

Day 2 -  Barnmoor and another sunny day. I hoped for peg 3 or 7, having drawn 15 or 17  for the last 5 times I have drawn Barnmoor.  Peg 15 is not in, good news that narrows the odds. Hope for better today, having yesterday being  drawn between Mayo senior, and the eventual winner Mayo Junior.

So hand in the bucket............................... Peg 17 again!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you believe it?  Snr Mayo to my right and Brian to the left (on the point) Peg 16.
Shuttler on the point, favourite from the start


To rub it in Brian Shuttler on the point as dead a cert as you can get.  So once again caught between Snr Mayo and the eventual winner.  The Waggler master DM on his favourite Peg 12 ( my bet for a pick up) and Mark Blake on Peg 7 it was going to be an uphill struggle to even make mid section.

Lovely day ensued, Mark Blake has assembled a good cross section of talent and a nice bunch of blokes.  This is definitely the friendly festival.  No pressure just blokes enjoying match fishing.  To think 2 weeks ago I nearly packed in match fishing.  Its surprising what warm weather and some good results will do.  Last week a pick up; and this week holding my own in good company.


I worked hard to catch today lost a cracker in my first drop in as , it took off across the lake and around the island, bending the rushes on the corner of the island as it went.  16 Metres of pole bending and preston red hollo 11 bottomed out -  everything was at breaking point and sure enough the inevitable ...ping.

Another rig of 015 straight through  - snapped 4 inches below the float.

Tried all sorts, to catch had a few small skimmers of the island using the method, micro pellet and banded pellet.  But had mostly roach to mid depth waggler and double red.  Senior Mayo started well with a couple of big carp.  He worked all day long for his weight and with an hour and a half to go had me well beat, with carp and chunky skimmers.  

Shuttler the machine was relentlessly bagging skimmers and small carp.  Blakey had had two big Carp as had Paul Hough on Peg 10.  DM had an eel of all things.

Time to risk it - Silvers are not going to do it.  So I knock up a little paste and fish towards the point down the edge over a meat line I had been feeding all day.  3 Carp, one hooked in a pelvic fin.  This on paste which apparently doesn't work on Barnmoor according to those in the know. Finally with 5 minutes left another big carp rips off and the 17 hollo yellow is at full stretch as it heads past the point on the way to open water in front of peg 12. This time 017 straight through parted mid way.  What have you got to use to stop these monsters?  No time left so I call the all out.


 Weighing in the machine man - Brian Shuttler.  As expected the winner  Fish after fish, led to complaints of arm ache! Cant say he got much sympathy from me.
  A nice fish to end on, hooked in the pelvic fin, a long fish barely went in the landing net it was so long.

 The scores on the doors.  Snr Mayo pushed me into 6th by one skimmer.  Me, consistent scoring mid section both matches.  Leaves me with 13 Points (leaders have 21 and 22 Points), I am one point behind Graham Houghton and I took my quid back today! 

 Paul Hough's (the Hoffmeister) meant he sweated out the match after catching two big carp for nearly 27 pound early on, to hang on for third.  Our genial host second in the silvers and second in the match.

First Place - Brian Shuttler  - 58 lb 14oz
Second Place - Mark Blake - 48 lb 6oz
Third Place - Paul Hough - 31 lb 10oz

Well done lads, will it be third time lucky tomorrow?  I need to win and several people to blank.  If not, I will  hold my own to be respectable, and try and finish as high as possible.









No comments:

Post a Comment