Wednesday 15 May 2013

One FLU over the Viaduct - Army match 7

I was sent home from work yesterday full of man FLU.  I wasn't keen to go home because I knew I had the day off today to fish at the Viaduct in Somerly Somerset.  It doesn't look good boss I said.  I don't want you here infecting everyone  - sod off home.  What you do on your day off tomorrow is up to you. Just get better and come back soonest

So the day broke no better, I was streaming, both nostrils and eyes flowing better than the river Avon.  Took the flyer and drove down accompanied by steady rain all the way.  In fact as I browed the hill at Wincanton  to look down on Yeovil and the Somerset levels it was distinctly cold and wintry - yes I know its summer , but God doesn't, he still thinks its February.

Army match 7. Thirty Three turned out, the numbers are coming up again.

I might as well have had a sign on me saying bring out your dead, everyone took one look me and walked in the other direction. Stay away from me I don't want to catch man flu was the general feeling.  Duncan Cooper and Higgy kindly bought me a sweet tea, fearing my sugar levels would drop; and quite frankly not wanting to do the kiss of life thing.

The Match.

 I missed the draw as I struggled to get my waterproofs on.  Dave Critcher came along and gave me my peg ticket.  Your on scary Carey 102.  I took my kit to the bank and quite frankly just covered the peg with snot.  I looked through bleary eyes trying to hair rig with a band on my bomb rod.  Frankly I didn't have the energy and seeing Brian Shuttler turn up on the next peg, really put the kibosh on it - I wanna go home.  Got my camera out to photo the peg for the blog, and was gutted to see the battery was flat.. Do it with your phone I thought - yes you have guessed it phone battery flat!!

Took the phone back to the van and plugged it into the cigarette lighter and went to have a word with Steve the owner in the shop.  He informed not to bother with pole use bomb rod fire out toward the aerator.
This I did. but I did feed two pole lines - meat down the edge and Caster/ground bait at 8 mtrs.

10.30 all in,  Steve had said not to expect big weights, 5 cold wet days in a row had slowed the big weights of last week. Still hoping for luck I put in 4 nets. surrounding my platform so no carp could get in under the platform.

12.30 Saw only Brian catching at our end of the lake , it looked like the fish had followed the wind to the bottom corners.  I got up and went along to Brian.  What was he doing differently.  Well no wonder he could get farther out with his feed.  He was using 11 and 12 mill pellet, as opposed to my 8 mill, simply they were flying further.

I couldn't combat the wind so nipped back to shop and bought some donkey chokers.  In short after three lost fish, I went from an 18 wide gape to 16 wide gape Kamasan pellet 911 extra strong; and caught my first fish at 1.30.  That was it.

Nothing till 3pm when the wind dropped and the sun came out.  Brian was now catching on the pellet waggler.  I tried it for 20 minutes with no joy and went back on the bottom 4 fish followed.  With Brian catching another battleship on the whistle 4.30, we all weighed in.

Brian had our section and the match with 15 fish for nearly 130 lb.  Me, well best of the Orphans(A) with 5 points (5th out of 11 man section) five fish 46 lb. That secured my quid from Graham Houghton who had 44 lb.

Carl ( not happy talk of being cheated) had six points and Critch for a change was bringing up the rear 10 points.

What did I learn. Well don't be afraid to use hooks as big as a 14, and pellets up to 12 mill at Viaduct.  Keep pinging pellet and they will feed in the end - simple innit!!

My head was too thick with cold to get into the argument brewing in the car park.  Apparently an ARMCEN(A)  guy had  put silvers in his carp net.  My understanding is, that is against fishery rules and that net therefore should not be weighed in.  Problem is Higgy had announced the winners and paid out, with those wishing to raise the point still packing kit up on the bank.  The winners ARMCEN (A)!!!!, this one will rumble on I am sure.

Top three. Brian 130 lb, Second Daz Waite 112 lb Third and a special mention to my mate Dave Wallace from 3DSR Sigs 3rd and 98 lb in the windward corner.  Some weights in the 40,s and a lot of people catching just one skimmer.

Summer League with Pewsey this weekend.  Teams of four, four matches, first on the Canal at Pewsey Milk house, the other matches Bristol Avon, Thames, and Horseshoe Lake wherever that is. So put away the 12 mill pellet and get the bread punch out.


No comments:

Post a Comment