Sunday 17 February 2013

Pummeled by Pommey, but still manage pick up

The day started bright following on from a lovely spring like Saturday.  My ears were still ringing from a concert (Rumours of Fleetwood Mac) last night at Salisbury City Hall. Loving the Blues last night - would the Blues be repeated today.

Well certainly the day started Blue. As I emerged from the thick fog of Salisbury Plain into Salisbury the sky was as blue as I have seen, perfect not a cloud in the sky.  I arrived at Witherington Farm for an Eastliegh club match on the snake.  Would I draw 54 again?  Before going into the Cafe' I leaned on the gate and looked out over a glorious morning - more people should go fishing - just seeing the world first thing in the morning makes it worth it.

Another Blue, this time the plop and Blue flash of a Kingfisher in the overflow stream that circles Barnmoor.  The kingfisher perches in the tree over swim 2 and whacks his prize on a branch before turning and swallowing.  I don't think Anglers know how lucky they are; some people will go their whole life and never get that close to a Kingfisher.

Cheery smiles and good mornings greet me.  This is too good to be true.  This is not normal, perhaps the sunshine has cheered everyone.  Still get some breaky, I think I will go full Monty today.  I reach into the wallet to get a tenner out, only to find with more joy the breakfast has dropped back to the old price of £5.00 all in brew as well.  Good move I think, it was putting me off with the higher prices.  Match talk is of yesterday and how well Cottage Lake, and Sellwood lake fished yesterday with big bags of skimmers showing.  The Mayo boys did well as did Dave Hydes.

Stab my sausage into a runny egg, and down some tea.  Pay my tenner match fee.  Then go through to Reids tackle shop of the cafe'.  The beautiful smile from the wonderful Christine Moody, greets me and she says "want your'e bait Gary".  I grab my bait for today and the upcoming match on Wednesday (Bristol Avon - Chippenham).  James Moody takes the cash, as his dad Dave sits behind him downing a bowl of Porridge (Daddy Bear).  Banter and abuse ensue, as the day gets into full swing.  People are asking if I wouldn't mind drawing something other than peg 54!  You know you win a little money, and the abuse never stops. Mornin' End Peg, its the man with the golden draw hand etc etc.

Clive Egerton, draws first and gets 54.  Somebody whispers oh well Gary back to the land of the living.  I draw Peg 87 in section C.  There are 3 sections today A,B and C. A is on the outer ring and b and C make up the inner snake.  Pegged to my left was Clark, and Steve Pomery to my right.  Both good anglers, Pommy won the Pairs last week could he keep up the good run?

Pommy is off like a shot, fishing across at 16 meters into a cut in bank he is quickly into his stride, small goldfish and crucians one after the other.. Then they are not so small.  Actually this is worrying, my float has not budged, 40 minutes gone and the expected Carp that should have been mugged hasn't materialised.  Pommy is on 6lb already, mustn't panic.  Nobody else in our section is going well.

So I come back over my ground bait (down the track) the float moves imperceptably then lifts out of the water and I lift into 12oz skimmer.  I am away, what a relief I wont be blanking today. Roach after roach come quickly - all of them around 2 oz peas in a pod.  The guys behind me on the outer snake (44 and 46) are into the Carp and these pegs look like they may win like last weekend.

I match Pommy fish for fish but I am swinging in 2 oz fish, he is netting 12oz skimmers.  3 Hours gone and I start to pick up bigger nettable skimmers (  I must say at this point if John Dewberry saw me swinging in fish he would go mad - still its not a team event).  Inexorably I feel I am catching Pommy, then I hear a splash and he nets a good 3lb carp. Dammitt.

Again he stretches away and with 5 minutes to go his elastic stretches out.  Big fish!  All out is shouted and Pommy shouts "fish on".  A masterly display of patience sees him land a double figure carp to top his day within the allotted time.  I stroll along and ask what he caught his fish on. Sweetcorn across and maggot.  I caught all mine on a mixture of double pinkie, or single red maggott; all on a size 22 b510 cystal Kamasan hook.

Back to the cafe' for prize giving.  Cup of Tea and biscuits as the scores on the doors are totted up.  Clive Egerton wins with 50lb + Carp of yes you guessed it peg 54.  B section has a big weight of carp for second place caught by the bridge peg 60 something.  Dave Moody Six Carp and 11lb of silvers picks up £30.00 for section by default.

Me, well "pummelled" by Pommy who took 3rd place with 34lb, meant I picked up section by default with 12lb of silvers and one small Crucian.  £30.00!!! Unbelievable (pick up two weeks running) a Blue day but not midsectionblues.

No comments:

Post a Comment