Sunday 24 February 2013

Character Building Canal

Today was character building big style.  I woke to a covering of light snow. It was colder than yesterday and that was freezing enough.

The Canal at Pewsey was frozen in sections, occasional clear patches near the stationary house boats that were occupied overnight.

I prayed to draw a clear bit, as whilst I have an ice clearer, I still find it hard to use.  I suppose its the Crabtree bit in me that believes in stealth and quietness around my swim as opposed to crashing about with a lump of chain and weights.  Still I am proven wrong, so many times as I have seen time again fish caught through broken ice.

Only 11 (section of 6 and 5) of us today the bitter cold keeping away even the hardiest of anglers only the dedicated or daft remain.  I draw peg 4.  Peg 1 being first under the bridge at the Wharf, and 11 being at the edge of the bay, on the way to Wilcott.

Oh gods of angling grant me a clear swim
Netting ice from Peg 1


 
The start is delayed till 10.30 to allow for ice clearing.  The snow on top of the ice has led to the water taking on the consistency of a slush puppie.  I beginning to wonder if I should have stayed at home.  God I am so cold.  I can barely feel my fingers and the wind is biting into my face, burning the skin a deep red colour.  Dew drops form at the end of my nose, my eyes are running; and I am struggling to see my rigs as I attach to the end of my top kits.  A quick pacy walk up and down the bank to get the blood moving around my body, whilst I wait for the all in.  The trade off of wearing waders (so I can get the platform in) as opposed to my "Hot foot" moon boots is beginning to feel like a wrong move despite three pairs of socks.

The gods of angling (Marks, Mumford and Heaps) had agreed partially with my request, half my swim was clear.  The match gets underway, and I start on the punch.  A couple of roach barely the size of my little finger. Then nothing.  Gary on the next peg has chucked bread on the ice , and is using a flock of ducks to smash the ice in his swim, surprisingly effective.

Problem is the resulting icebergs are blowing into my swim.  As the match goes on, the line is freezing to the top section.  I can here Leo (Match secretary) Pocock, to my left cussing at the moving Ice, and stories of possible blank nets and frozen anglers seep along the bank.

 Better news from the far end near the bay it appears they are catching, and James Carty is going well on peg 6 (fortunately in next section).  The match grinds on through the day, and for the first time in a while I wonder why I am doing this.  You are after all supposed to enjoy it, and frankly today its not fun.

 A couple of fish put me in a dilemma, its not a team match, I wouldn't be letting the team down if I pack up.  A sprinkling of fry scatter near the boat opposite.  So I slip on a brandling and drop it tight. The float dips and slides away and I dolly in a Perch of around 6 oz.  Then nothing for an hour.  A conker size nugget across in 18 inches of slushy water, results in a few more tiny fish.  Squat and Pinkie has done nothing today.

The weigh in sees a few dry nets and the weights at the bay end. 11 and 10 are 5 and 4 lb respectively.  James Carty, has just over 3lb on peg 6.  Leo to my left (section 1) has 15oz bag of tiny fish.  Peg 1 has taken my section with 2lb on the nose I and I have second in section with 1 lb 10oz.

No cash today, and the sort of day that you couldn't wait to get home to a bowl of hot stew and dumplings and a raging coal fire.  Walking back to the pay out in the car park I notice the the snowdrops have pushed through in the sheltered edge of the bank.  Lets hope its the sign of spring sunshine and warmer weather.  I have forgotten what it is like to fish in short sleeves.

No comments:

Post a Comment