Wednesday 6 February 2013

Army be the best, and return of the comeback kid

Army fishing today.  On the Canal at Bishops Cannings Devizes.  Match 3 of our 10 Match series.  Blew out in match one 9th in my section, got too excited after a good start  - overfed it and killed the swim.  Match 2 wasn't much better going for the bow waves in my swim hoping to mug the clearly large Carp feeding there, I was distraught to see bold as brass an Otter slide up the far bank in front of me sit there and chomp on a 12oz skimmer.  Some carp!!! with an otter in the swim you can guess the rest.  Would my luck change today?

Drew A8 an end peg wonders will never cease.  Happiness took a knock as I passed Brian Shuttler, Nick McCartney, then couple of lads I know by sight then Roy Rickets Ivan Oakey all good Canal Anglers.  Last two pegs Craig Micalef and me end peg - but going to have my work cut out to pick up in this section.
Bit of a blow really as we fish in teams of three one member in each section; and our Captain Carl had already withdrawn due to work so we were down to Dave Critcher and Me.

Craig clearly doesn't fancy it and offers to let me set up for him while he drinks coffee!  To make things worse I slide down a very steep bank to stand on the near shelf and lower my platform in.  I did prod around first and there was a shelf!!  Except it was very unstable,it collapsed under my weight and I started to go down like the Titanic Platform in hand.  Tried to throw the platform up the bank but the legs got tangled in the rushes and brambles. 

What a disaster, still sinking fighting with the platform, which seemed to have a life of its own. eventually just as water was topping the waders I managed to slither up the bank like some great big beach master Walrus.  Hands flailing,  grabbed some stingers and brambles and put my other hand in some doggy doo, well almost it was old and dry- lucky break.

Match under way, fishing top four, inside line fed with a walnut size nugget of bread, fishing a Mick Craddock 4x10 float again kamasan b510 hook o5 hooklentgh o7 mainline. First eight drop ins, and 8 quickfire fish, and then nothing.  Don't panic -learn from last time don't overfeed.  Left the inside line to rest and tried my choppy worm line down the track (end peg so fish 16 meters to the right, try and draw the fish down the canal and into my swim).  No joy.  Ping some squat across to the far shelf only got around 18 inches of gin clear water there - and it proves fruitless.

Decide to cup in a a dozen pinkie at the base of the far shelf; and then come back to near side swim. Dropped in on the nearside with punch and the tiniest roach in the world grabs on, just as I lift out 30 or so equally tiny fish break surface.  Oh no Pike!  15 bitterly cold minutes, (eyes watering nose running) pass by the float stood still.  Whack a pinkie on and drop it in over the bread.  The float sails away, big style and the no 3 elastic stretches out inexorably as the hooked fish rips up the canal.

I dip the pole in the water and add a couple of sections quickly.  It feels weird - eel- like, are there eels in here?  The wind is whining against the taut, overly taut rig line - quick prayer to Ivan Marks - and I pull gently on the pulla bung.  Gradually the elastic comes back , but dogged surges are keeping my cheeks clenched.

I see it!! A clonking great Perch must be 3 pound plus, and s**t its foul hooked in the tail, its getting closer this is a match winning fish take it easy - gently slide the net under it.  Time stands still as the o5 hooklength snaps at the first no 12 shot and frantic flailing with the landing net comes to nothing.

The air is blue.................... never mind get in there and go again.  But nothing, I rotate through the swims.  Not a sausage. A shout down to Craig confirms he has dozen + small roach.  An hour gone, no bites. 2 Hours then 3, then 3.5.  God its cold, and the floats not moving.  Come on think.... buck up concentrate.  Drop in over the pinkie I put at the base of the far shelf. Was that movement?

Certainly the float moved left but didn't dip.  Dot it down to flush with surface.  The wind is biting into my face and the tears are blurring the vision.  Any colour that was in the water has completely dropped out and I can see the fish in the bottom of my keep net.  There it is again slight sideways movement.  I hit and a fat roach, of around 6 oz is soon in the net. 

The bites are barely noticeable just a little side ways movement. But I hit them and 3 Ruffe are swung in about quarter ounce a piece.  2oz Perch follows then a couple of gudgeon.  Check of the watch and half an hour to go.  The Comeback kid is back in it  I must have 3 quarters of a kilo, not bad - in with a shout - kilo and half is enough to frame in these matches.

A steady fish every drop in, and the weight is building will it be enough.  "All out" is shouted as I swing in a 3oz roach.  Being end peg, I am not sure till we get back to the pub where I stand.  Happy with my 1 kilo 160 grams, but soon find that Brian, Nick Mac and and Ivan all have better weights.  Brian's was 1 kilo 460 and wins not just the section but the match.

Close but not good enough. Guess what mid section again!!!!!!!!!!  Still good team points 3 (as Nick Mac was fishing as an individual)  My mate Dave, is 4th also so good team points.  The team finishes equal 6th as we had to take 10 points for our missing Captain.

Roll on Sunday, Its the last of the Eastliegh Pairs match series and my Partner Steve and I are in second place - can we hold out and pick up prize money.  Or will it be mid section blues again?

No comments:

Post a Comment