Sunday 31 May 2015

Pewsey and Summers here .... the laughter begins

Round one of the summer league.  Picked up Steve Dean and headed to the Golden Swan for the draw.  Change of fishing venue at the last minute saw Pewsey helping out and offering Milk house as All Cannings  had a last minute.com pop festival on its banks leaving no room.

It was great to meet up with all the guys again the laughter was immediate as the banter began in earnest.  So good to laugh again a completely different atmosphere to some serious professional matches.

Keith Taylor can fill in as a 4th today as we could only muster 3 for round one. We paid our dues and pools and did the draw. The best pegs were quick to go leaving our team peg 2 and the scales.  Effectively I was in the middle as far away from end pegs as possible.

I was roughly in front of perm peg 17.  Recent matches have thrown up low weights in this area with bonus fish helping the fortunate.
It was a good 1.5 hours before I had my first bite.  I wasn't unduly worried as in my section it seemed to be the same for all.  Martin and Chas came along for a chat and said that others were struggling but Steve Dean (PMG) had a round a pound which seemed to put him in the driving seat.

As Martin and Chas were there I had my second third and up to seventh bite. All small fish but it seemed they had arrived.  I then bumped a small hoped I wouldn't regret that.

Chas and Martin left and took the fish with them I didn't have another fish until the last 15 minutes where I had three more. Then with 5 minutes to go the float moved sideways and I lifted into what i thought was a snag only to find I had foul hooked a huge slab in the tail.  Number 2 elastic bottomed out as I had six sections of pole up in the air trying and failing to pull it in backwards.  Even as I tried manfully I couldn't really do it, and as it came within 4 feet of my net I realised it was too big for my tiny speed canal pan landing net.

The inevitable happened as I pulled I don't think it even knew it was hooked and the 8 oz bottom hook link snapped.  I may not have won the match with it but I am sure I would have won the days golden fish comp for biggest fish.

So the all out was called and we set about the weigh in.. It was tight in our section; and some normally good pegs even with good anglers on them had struggled.

A section down by the bridge. 2.5 ounces of the end peg with Lee Pollard on it , Our boy Steve a solid third with 1 lb 6 oz. Tied for first Brian Webb and Bob Ballard with 2 2.


Steve Deans section next and the people with one Bream each make the difference here.


My section ( c ) next and 5 oz separate the top 4.



A confusing mess of a board but D section next and first and section from this section.  A well known fishy area first was Lee on D4 with 9 Bream for 20 lb a lovely weight.  Thanks to Keith getting a creditable 3rd . Lee also takes the golden fish.  If I did get mine in it would have smashed that 2 lb 8 oz.  But I didn't so no use moaning.

Overall scores and double comp next


A slow start for Pewsey with ISIS gaining a 6 point lead on us.

Pairs next.

Steve picked up his summer league winners shirt from last year

Well done to Lee 9 Bream a lovely day on the canal and he lost a couple of big ones !!!




No comments:

Post a Comment