Sunday 10 May 2015

Pewsey Lake -- Chagrin leaves number 2 blues

Full house waited for Steve Hiscock to arrive to do the draw.
All the pegs would be used  1 through 16. Which would put a lot of pressure on the lake.  Still I had a plan I had had a couple of evening sessions and felt I had a plan that would help today.  Trouble was with a crowded lake I was gonna need some magic.  Thank god Gandalf  came by to spread the magic.

I drew peg 2, not bad thinks I as I had a had a good evening there in the week bagging 6 Carp against the tree stump on the far bank.  The peg was fizzing and the burgeoning lily pad was being rattled by the local population.  14 extremely heavy booted noisy and raucous anglers stomped their way past my peg as they headed for the Carpy end of the Lake.  When oh when will I draw down there?

That sounds like a contradiction after having 6 Carp in the  week from 2; but there is no doubt the fish get walked down on match days.  In addition the lake fishes way better in pleasure sessions.

9.30 and on the whistle I repeated the tactics of midweek and sat confidently waiting the float to slide away; but it never moved in fact it was 2 hours before the elastic dribbled out the end of the pole and an ounce roach came to hand.  All the lily shaking and fizzing had long stopped to be replaced with a milky scum and a great deal of flotsam which was inhibiting the presentation.  In fact unless I slapped the rig it would lay on the top.  

I had a run (6) of small fish and breathed a sigh of relief.  Even though they were really small.  Chris was backing up his "open" win yesterday by leading our section.  Leo and I were about even and Steve Dean had had a bonus fish. Steve H to my left was blanking and Gary Perryman blanking on my right. In fact the first 5 pegs were struggling for any bites at all.

Roly was shipping out and on the way miraculously caught a cracking roach and I realised to day was going to be another blue day.  When you ant buy a bite and people are catching without trying it grates a little bit but I suppose we are all entitled to a bit of luck. News from the planet Carp end of Lake also meant I was nowhere.  good job you get points for section position on the Lake.  So knuckle down and grind it out.

Trouble is if they aint there you cant grind it out.  Steve to my left hooked a big un, and I was utterly deflated then equally joyous as he lost it.  I commiserated but inside was relieved. Steve called the all out and a blue cloud of annoyance settled over me, could have done better --no. No I couldn't.  I was willing the float to dip but it wouldn't. Still it left me chagrin.

I ended up with 17 fish amazingly Roly tipped back his Roach and didn't weigh as did Neil.  So the weigh in began and as usual Will had a 9lb Carp from the Carp end of the Lake.  Surprise , surprise even though Brian Shutler had drawn a flyer (Peg 12 and it was the Golden peg) the normally reliable lad had not won the day.  That honour went to the excellent Nic Worters who framed for the second Lake match in a row.


Chris takes a dismal section 1 with Steve D second in sec 1. Leo pipped me for third, but still got to be happy with 5 points from a very bad day.  Well done to the top three Will (left) Nic middle and Brian right.



No comments:

Post a Comment