Sunday 12 April 2015

Pewsey - I have a feeling I have forgot something...

So here we go again 2015/2016 Season gets under way with Lake match 1.  It had been a funny morning , unexpected frost and I couldn't put my finger on it but had a feeling I was missing something. Anyhow better get the dogs out and exercised and the chickens fed.
The dogs looked comfortable and were not keen to go out and greet the day.  So i gave them an extra 5 and loaded the van.  Still couldn't put my finger on it, but something was wrong.  Perhaps it was thoughts of the lads already on their way to the teams of four spring league.  I wanted to be with them but not enough places in the teams, so the lake it was , not a bad replacement.

Got underway and a bit of White snake "Here I go again , on my own" appropriately sad really.  Still got to the lake met with the other new season hopefuls and waited for Steve to arrive and draw. Banter was ok and the morning was nice in general.  But there was that nagging feeling.  So back to the van to see  what I had forgot.  Nothing. Oh well put it aside and get on with the draw.  Everyone showed their new rod licences and we drew.  I drew first for a change and got peg 9.  Going to call this peg Gary's peg I have drawn it so many times.  I thought a new season might see me down the Carpy end but NO.

Robin had drawn end  peg 15, Steve Dean 14 and Jimmy 13.  With Gary P on 12 Roly on 11 and Mark Russ on 10 that section was full.  I had my work cut out taking on Neil Pegrum, Will T, Si Burden, last years Lake Champ and the talented Nic Worters.
It was at this point the nagging issue was settled. I set up and realised I had no keep nets!!!!!  Because I had been fishing venues this week that didn't allow them I had put back in the garage and forget them what a wally.  You can imagine the name calling that followed. Questions about my mind and the onset of dementia; and general loud laughter and piss taking at my expense.  I held my hands up and took it all , it was all I deserved. After the kind loan of a net we got underway.

As always all the fish topping rolling and leaping stopped 1 minute before the match.  They know you know!! method feeders crashed in to signal the start.

The bombardment over . I started pinging maggot to the far edge in the hope of mugging a chubb or two.  30 minutes gone and no bites so it was back over the ground bait line.  Two instant Crucians (the ones we stocked at 2 oz last year) probably about 4 oz a piece good to see them growing.

Mark on my right was catching at same rate as me, and no one else seemed to e getting a bite.  So we went fish for fish for a while before even our lines dried up.  Mark then had a tiny mirror carp around 4 oz. Then he had a bonus Perch which was stuffed full of red maggot I had been feeding.  Had to be me as he wasn't feeding maggot.

I suppose Mark had a lead on me, that until Nic to my left had a Carp of around 2 lb and immediately followed it with a Chubb all on the feeder.  That's torn it.  Do I stay on the small stuff or go for it.  So I gave it 45 minutes on the method with no bites.  Another 30 minutes on the waggler equally blank.

I couldn't see how the Carpy pegs were doing other than Gary Perryman who had hooked a huge lump of a carp on his pole.  He couldn't shift so was pulling the elastic in by hand and got it to the landing net before losing it.

Jim too had hooked and lost a carp as had Robin on the end.  I was getting beat up.  Not an auspicious start to the new campaign.  Just stick the blinkers on and try and catch.  The peg though was drying up , Mark had stopped catching and the others in my section apart from Nic were not even getting a bite.

I decided to come of bottom string out the shot and fish on the drop .  The fish were painfully small but at least I was catching . Mark soon caught me up when he nicked a small net-able skimmer.  But I kept going.

With half an hour to go Nic had two more Chubb on the feeder which took him out of sight. I kept going with the small stuff bumping a few here and there.  So it was same old same old, needing a bonus fish.  At least I had upped my rigs to cope with anything of size, if I were to hook it. But no joy.

Jim called the all out and the first match of the new season was complete.  Much to my surprise the weigh in gave me hope I thought I had around 3 lb.  It was going to be close between Mark and I he might just have me with that Perch.


Jim weighed in his 3 lb 4 oz and then Mark his 3 lb. It was going to be tight. Nic had clearly won, but who was second? I tipped my net in and the dial went around to 3 lb 3 oz. Done by Jimmy by 1 ounce that hurts should have stayed on the small stuff and not chased the win.

Nic had really done us all; his three Chubb went 10 lb 2 oz and he added a Carp of 2 lb 6 oz. for a total of 12 lb 8 oz.


As we called it  day the clouds built with the promise of rain.  Jimmy did the honours and paid out, as he didn't go in the super pool I picked up 3rd in match and second super pools. So free days fishing, 7 points on the board and we are off and running.


I wonder how the lads did in round one of the Spring League?? Below me on the left (didn't realise how white my hair is going!! need a haircut) the Winner Nic Worters in the middle and Jim Broomham on the right.




No comments:

Post a Comment