Sunday 26 April 2015

Airsprung Open and triple boating makes you sick.

For the first  time in absolutely ages I was attending a match where I knew nobody.  The lads were either on Ditchers Spring League or doing their own thing.  I had several invites after closing my blog last week with not sure where I was going.. So thanks to the lads at Tisbury etc; but I needed to know I can still catch on a canal or give it up as bad lot.

Airsprung Angling kindly accepted my request to fish their open at Trowbridge on the K and A.   £12 all in, saw me programming the TOM TOM to fish a water I have never fished before.  I had a rough idea thanks to Devizes MG angler Mike Marsden, who had given a few tips.  So as the Pet Shop boys belted out a rendition of "Go West" I headed west down 303 and then cut through Shrewton, Market Lavington and Devizes.  Before I knew it I was on the ring road and multiple roundabouts of Trowbridge with the Tom Tom getting me to my destination.

To the draw then.
I was delighted to see some people still going fishing on a bike.  It is 38 years since I strapped a rod to the cross bar of the bike and flung a wicker basket over my back. Fun days.

Unfortunately there was only 6 anglers (paying top 2) as many of the local bigger competitions had attracted those guys to fish.  I was delighted I did know at least one angler.   Rich Whitmarsh was fishing and he very kindly topped up the tips given to me by Mike Marsden.

Rich pointed out the shoal of skimmers feeding heavily on peg 1 and said he thought Peg 1 or 3 would win it today.  We drew and the last out of the pot was me with Peg 6, Rich had peg 5, and as he explained on the walk to our pegs, 5 and 6 used to be good but the fish seemed to be in the lower numbers now.

Our Pegs, my trolley in foreground and Richs just distant.

We quickly set about our stations and the 9 am start approached way to fast.  I was a little concerned at the volume of boats going through and their speed.  Rich said you would get used to that, but not to worry to much the fish were used to it.  

His worst weight on this stretch was 5 lb 8 oz, so it seemed it had a head of fish, just hoped the locals would be gentle with me.  If I could stay with Rich, I would be happy but there wasn't much chance of that.

The whistle started us and I was strangely nervous.  Not wanting to embarrass myself I suppose. So head down keep it simple and concentrate  The supposed good inside line produced one Tommy Ruffe and it was huge, if I was on home water  would have claimed the club record, it must have gone 3 oz.

The three quarter line next and gudgeon after gudgeon preceded a nice hybrid.  On home water I would be in prime position with that fish, but here it was run of the mill.  Rich was flashing the landing net out, and I had the feeling I was being hammered.  The boat traffic was horrendous as the fist of the days double boatings occurred.


It seemed the tactic was to get up and walk away and let it settle.  But I flicked the whip down the inside of the point of the boat to my right.  I did manage a couple of roach a gudgeon and another tommy.

The Canal detritus settled and cleared quite quickly as it pulled rapidly left to right.  I ditched the normal rigs and put on a 2 gram flattie and held it against the flow.  3 quick skimmers to double pinkie helped before the bites died again as it slowed up.  Now that it was still I put in more ground bait and dropped the normal rig over it.  Before the bait had hit the bottom it was ripping right and sliding away.

That's more like it, fat roach few more of them would be nice.  But it was slow and the boats kept coming.  Roach became tiny, Gudgeon were small still and the skimmers well 1 oz perfection in miniature.  

Rich said the the fish would get smaller after the first hour and he wasn't wrong.  More ground bait and a change to caster.  Twenty minutes bite less saw me back on the double pinkie and the first of three more skimmers.

Game over though as I was triple boated.  

This time I had the delight of a first for me.  One of the three boats was a booze cruise; and to my absolute delight one of the passengers decided to wait till he was in line with me before projectile vomiting into my swim.  Great thank you very much!! Charming.

Trying not to vomit myself as his pavement pizza gathered around my feet and keep net.  I decided to walk away for 5 and have a pee.  Grabbed a drink from trolley and strolled back to note with panic that Rich was already back in and catching.

Quickly back into it I caught a few more but the last hour was a grind as the bites slowed in the vomit / alcohol slick .  Managed one more skimmer.  Tiny fish abounded as the whistle went for the end.  I turned to Rich asking if it fishes like this all the time and he said no, he thought today had been bad.

So to the weigh in no doubt smashed up by the local boys, but I had enjoyed somewhere new for the first time; and the local lads seemed very friendly and welcoming.  Busy tow path and loads of boats but at least there were fish there to be had.  I pulled the net out with some trepidation hoping I had flew the flag for Pewsey and put up a reasonable show.  

End peg it maybe but I spent half the match learning how to fish this stretch.  Will be better armed next time; and there will be a next time.  If I have a free weekend and there's an open on , it will be my first choice.

The weigh was refreshingly quick with so few anglers, and as we came back down the line hope rose that I might stand a chance, certainly I wasn't embarrassed.

Back down to Peg 1 and the fizzing swim (lovely looking peg and clearly the first place people sit down and fish after crossing the bridge) from this morning had produced well and the lad on it had done well, he'd had a busy day.  

Amazingly near the end some youngsters had say near him and instead of telling them to bugger of it was a match he gave them some bait!! What a Gent.

  Not only a gentlemen but also the winner he had a net full.


I would like to say thanks to all for the invite it was a nice day.  Particular thanks to Bill Turner for organising and to Rich Whitmarsh and Mike Marsden for their tips.

Back on home water next week.  Days Carping tomorrow maybe?








No comments:

Post a Comment