Sunday 11 January 2015

Pewsey Its Lakeside lets play Darts

Its that time of year when you wish you were staying in and playing or watching the Darts at the Lakeside.  The past week has seen temperatures range from near zero mornings to yesterdays incredible 14 / 15 degrees of mildness.The strong winds and squally showers of yesterday morning had given way to a cold morning and it was with some happiness(after scraping the ice of the windscreen) that I headed to the Lake.

Not because of the miraculous hope that it would produce fish as it is fickle this time of year; but more in the knowledge that after a frustrating week at work.  Dawn this Sunday morning had reminded me that despite its own frustrations fishing is one of the best things in my life.  I had all the gear with me just in case last weeks miracle would be repeated and I drew a good peg.  So much of fishing is won and lost at the draw bag, and if a good angler draws well there is little you can do about it.  However when the rest of us draw well it does give you hope that luck might be on your side today.
It was the lowest turnout of the Lake Championship this year only ten.  Perhaps the cold or the poor weights of the last match putting people off.  We also had a team of four in the Basingstoke canal comp yesterday and those guys had traded Saturday for Sunday with their spouses.  Couple of medical issues and one hangover meant we were down. After a discussion I decided to leave out the first 5 pegs.  Section 1 would be 6 to 10 and Sec 2 would be 11 to 15.  Surely my luck would change and after last weeks end peg I would draw section 2 and the Carp.

No don't be daft.  Drew 10 higher than normal but still not down the Carp end.  I had Chris Rushton to my left (above) and the inevitable Brian Shutler to my right.

I decided to try and get a "mug" carp straight off by pinging the tip rod to the far side.  I did have a ripper as the tip and the rod headed lake-wards in the first half an hour but it must have been a foul hooker as it was on for a second then off.  Leo had already had a carp before I baited up. Jim had hooked and lost one and Chris to my left was already catching silvers.  

I couldn't waste too much time letting Chris get ahead. So came back over my ground bait and started catching the small stuff.  After 1 and half ounces in the last match, It was nice to see the float dipping regularly and after 10 small fish the elastic tugged back a bit and a skimmer put up a spirited fight before I slid the net under it that's a relief a decent fish for a change. I looked left at Chris and he was not impressed and even more irritated when I said that hurts mate don't it!

Looking right Brian was beginning to get irritated as well.  His normal one a chuck style deserting him for the moment.  Chris and I kept going fish for fish, whilst the others to his left struggled to get any bites at all.  Then Chris hit a skimmer and managed after a tense fight to get it in.  With a beaming smile he returned the compliment - That hurts mate don't it? I did laugh

I wasn't laughing a couple of minutes later when he snagged a goldfish of around 6 ounces.  Then a roach of around 8 ounces.  This put him around a pound ahead of me I thought.  It seemed to irritate Brian too as he struggled to get a bite and was cussing the ducks taking his free catapulted offerings before the fish were.  He could see himself slipping back as Leo had another couple of Carp and Chris and I kept catching.  

Chris and I remained fish for fish till 12.15 when my bites stopped abruptly, and his slowed.  Brian started to catch a few nice roach on the waggler, certainly bigger than the ounce fish we were catching.  Then his rod hooped over into a Carp which he quickly lost.  Phew.  He wasn't pleased and I saw him lash out at his kit nearby.  Wanted to take the mickey, but thought I better not, just leave him be.

To be honest both Chris and I were getting twitchy as the stamp of his fish was much bigger than ours and he was catching us quickly.  After 45 minutes on the tip and the waggler I went back over over the pole line and started catching again.  Chris also started to catch again on maggot.  I couldn't get a touch on maggot, but the pinkie was producing.  It was painfully slow building a weight with such tiny fish.  Inevitably Chris edged in front and Brian caught a skimmer.

Brian and I were now level and Chris catching some slightly bigger fish was probably one good roach and goldfish in front of me.  As we entered the last hour Chris and I scratched tiny fish but Brian was going from strength to strength. Two more hybrids saw him leave me behind and challenge Chris.

Despite the last 20 minutes on the waggler and tip rod, I couldn't buy a bite and Brian had one more nice Roach.  Gone the grumpy sulk of two hours ago he was back on form.

I called the all out and in my heart new Chris had me by a pound and half, and Brian also had passed me I was sure.  So it was dependent on where the others were if I was to pick up.

Considering the 1.5 ounces last time when I was here.  I was pleased with my net.


The weigh in began and Jimmy had struggled and lost out in his battle with Carp.  Leo had three Carp for 10 lb - well done Mr Chairman despite being away from the bank far too much this year, you have not lost your touch.  Martin had fished his new waggler rod all day and struggled in the wind but had a lovely fan tail goldfish

Sure enough Brian's 3 hybrids in the last hour had made the difference and he surpassed my weight, but missed out by an ounce to Chris in the silvers only.  So when Chris added his goldfish he took second in the match.

Scores on the doors. Whilst I didn't gain any ground points wise on Brian, with him being in the other section I didn't lose any either as we both had 7 points for second in section.  I did pick up 3 points on Simon Burden welcome for our tussle for second place in the Championship.


The golden peg rolled over. Leo took 1st and 1st in the super pools. Chris second and second in the super pools plus the silvers by 1 ounce over Brian. Plus his 6 oz gold fish a creditable well deserved 5 lb.  I had guessed it right and Chris had a pound more silvers than me a couple of good roach had done that; and I also guessed Brian's bag as well with his late 3 hybrids making the difference between him and I.

So the happy bunch (Leo, Chris and Brian right to left) took their money. No financial reward for me in 4th, and we all look forward to next week and the blind pairs on the canal.


No comments:

Post a Comment