Sunday 18 January 2015

Pewsey Blind Pairs, only the strong survive

Here we go again its Pewsey Blind Pairs competition . Open to members only 4 new joined so they can fish this fun competition.  Good news for the club coffers.  I pegged it last night and got there early to double check all was ok and no boats had moved in under the cover of darkness.
 Twenty six turned out and chewed the fat at the Milk house bridge draw. Came from far and wide and all the talk was of the cold nights over the past week the ice that had been on the canal , and how surprising it was it still had some colour.  Peg 1 was at the bridge  and 26 was up by the nature reserve.  I fancied any peg in the twenties and or peg 1.  Not be though Steve Dean drew 26 second time in recent matches he has drawn end pegs at Milky lucky sod.
Dave Self drew peg one and I was in the middle on 15.  Not a bad peg should do well. We all started along the tow path and then got under way at 9.45.  Chas on my right, and Leo on my left we were looking forward to it.

Leo,

Chas

Another very cold day joined us bank side as we all cupped in our  expectantly. I had lowered my bait in and had  fish straight away. Almost immediately the first of 15 Kayaks came through, three a breast at one point completely disregarding our requests to go steadily down the middle.  Some did say thanks but most clearly thought they owned the canal.

It was 20 minutes before the maelstrom they had churned up settled; and it was another hour before I got a bite.  It was a Perch so tiny and followed by another equally tiny Roach I was starting to worry I would let down who ever was to be my partner today.
Chris 2 to my right and James 2 to my left were picking up a few. But the match was really going slowly for most of us due to an arctic cold wind and some more boat traffic.  At one point I was double boated Kayaks going one way and canal boats the other.  You have to laugh.

I sat and shivered as did Leo and Chas and we tried to grind it out, but the only thing I could catch was leaves twigs and more leaves.  Even fishing of the bottom I couldn't buy a bite.  I really did try.  I went down to a 26 with single squat and or blood worm. Still no joy.  Go the other way scale up try maggot and worm on heavier rigs laying on over 6 inches. In short it was shaping up to be a bad day at the office.

The end was called by a shaking shivering me and most were glad.  I knew this would be the worst performance of this 2014 / 2015 season.  I have caught less this year but I feel I would have only beaten those who blank today.

Danny came along as did a few others and I don't think they believed me when I told them I had 3 ounces. Danny had dropped his mobile in the canal and all of us were cold and looking forward to getting back to the pub for the redraw.

 The scales came along and Kev the Bread Chubb put the scores on the doors.  The occasional £1 bet was settled and news came along that poor Mick Gayle had stood up at the end of the match and pitched headlong into the canal - right under as his platform had tipped forward. I really felt for him it was cold enough without getting soaked to the skin. Bob Davis did the Baywatch duties and dragged him out but he had lost his phone amongst other things as he salvaged his tackle box etc.

As I thought I was rank last with 10 fish for 4.5 ounces.  I pity the poor sod who draws me on the redraw.  I apologise up front.

So it was back to the warmth of the Golden Swan pub in Wilcott to re-draw to see whom as been fishing with whom.  The individuals who shared the super pool and the Mystery weight winner.  Once the cash had been divided into envelopes I started the announcements First the mystery weight and a bottle of 2006 Port.  I had asked my wife to choose the weight.  I gave her several options based on recent weights in matches on Milk House.  So I called out her choice it was Marc Kay with 2 lb 9 oz.  Marc was on peg 2.

Then the Super pools.  First Alan Brown, second Kev the Bread, and third Paul Giddings. Sharing £125.
 Now to the main event and thanks to Spanners and Leo for doing the maths whilst I re-drew the names to finalise the pairs.  First out of the bucket the top weight of the day Alan Brown.  Twenty five other anglers waited with baited breath hoping they could piggy back Alan's weight to victory.  

The lucky man was Ian Spanners Spanswick.  They share £100 and get the club trophy for a year and individual trophies for keeps.  Second young Andrew Cranston partnering the not so young Paul Giddings (£80).  Third Dave Self and Dave Johnston(£60).  Fourth Kev Chubb and Les Thirlaway get their money back(£20). The rest were called and the sheet completed.

They say only the strong survive. Lets hope strong today bottom of the pile and holding every one else up.

Home for a warm up and chicken dinner.  Well done to all - but me!! Ian left and Alan with the Pairs Trophy




No comments:

Post a Comment