Saturday 27 December 2014

James's Pewsey end of year bash part 1

Bloody hell was I glad to be going fishing missed last weekend and was really ready to catch a few today.  Following a day of heavy cold rain, and a very, very cold night it wasn't going to be easy. In fact it was all about the draw.  James had chosen three different sections for day 1.  Bowdens swing bridge, Crab Apple and Milk house.  Clearly not many including me wanted the swing bridge.  But if it was to be then for once God, please let me draw an end peg.  97% of the pegs I have drawn in 2014 have been mid-section pegs.

Before the draw a lovely breakfast at the Golden Swan.  Then I was called outside for a presentation from the lads.  My failing eyesight meant that the lads (Chas Short) had made me a new pole float. The catch was that I had to retrieve it from a tree!!! Apparently I am the only angler ever -  to put a float in a tree!

Thanks to Marc Kay for taking the photo.  Its nice to end the year having a laugh with your mates.  Proof again if needed of the friendly nature of Pewsey fishing club.  Back to the fishing.  Couple of no shows still left us with an impressive 37. Credit to James drawing in 4 completely new members.

James did the draw and I was at the back of the scrum. By the time I got to the bucket, it was mostly the unwanted Bowdens Swing bridge section.  Still pegs 1,2,12 or 13 surely not a mid-section peg. Not to be though 2014 was determined to ensure the run of unlucky draws --- Peg 8.  Atilla managed peg 1 with Gary Williamson and Liam Bradell getting the other end. Mike Buzzer Bernstein had peg 5, a good looking peg boat tight left on near bank and a gapped peg on his right. Sods law boat owner had been in for a week so his stoves had warmed the water around the boat it was bound to have a few fish.

Freezing cold. I would be glad to have a hedge behind me keeping the wind off.  As it was I had drawn 8, and that is where the hedge breaks to allow an overflow to a drain. So the wind ripped through accompanied by the wafting smell of human waste where presumably a few boaters without a conscience had emptied their toilets amongst the leaf litter.  Trying not to gag I turned my back on it and faced probably one of the most stale and featureless mid section pegs that I have drawn.


The match got under way and it was a pleasure to have my mate Martin on my right and an up and coming junior from the Pewsey juniors Morgan Plank. Morgan and Zak Phillips both Juniors in with the rest of us. A nice way to finish the year, it shows the effort that's gone in is rejuvenating the club and it has a bright future.

The match itself for most of us was a non event, a freezing wind meant the only pegs producing were the ones with a little cover.  Buzzers peg and the others with boats nearby had drawn a few fish to the warmer waters.  Me ten bites in first hour resulting in 10 fish. Then nothing bar an embryo of a fish in the last hour.

Morgan to my left was unlucky to lose a half pound fish at the net.  Martin and I chatted to keep the cold away, Robin strolled and drank tea to keep the cold away.  The end pegs and Buzzer caught small stuff steadily.  Buzzer sounded rough a real flu like hacking cough. Hope he gets better soon.

The weigh in.  Began and as expected the end pegs produced with Gary, pipping Liam by half an ounce. For top points.



My measly bag leaving me with 12 oz 5 points, need a miracle tomorrow.


The other sections then.  

 Crab Apple first, again end pegs have it but many, many more fish here. End pegs again showing with Devizes MG angler taking it with 10 lb 2 oz other good weights from Kev Chubb, Graham Godwin and Paul Giddings who had the favoured Crab Apple tree peg. Good show from the organiser James and my mate Spanners with 4 lb 10 oz. Special mention for my mate Chas Short improving nicely as is Zak Phillips our other Junior.

Lastly Milk house and peg one being by the bridge.  Bob Davis winning this of peg 1 (end peg). Dave Kirk next and closely followed by Nic Worters and a plethora of other 3 lb weights.  Unlucky to Steve Dean couldn't make the most of his end peg.


To tomorrow and day 2.  If it was as cold and windy as today I might just use my new float!


No comments:

Post a Comment