Wednesday 3 December 2014

Army Group 2 Fur and Feather......Trashed rigs and Fighting Cocks

Scraped the ice from the windscreen on the flyer and got under way to Witherington Farm for this years Army Group 2 Fur and Feather.

55 Anglers expected so we had 5 sections. A, being on Cottage Lake B on the inner snake and then C,D, and E all around the outside snake.

So Rachel and Glenn put the breakfasts out on a conveyor belt, and Christine, Dave and James were doing brisk business in the well stocked well appointed Reid Tackle shop.

Breakfast consumed laughter, and expectation high we all queued for the draw after Kevs Match brief.  I was not so expectant as the very cold night and the cold wind blowing across the venue I will be happy to catch a few silvers and be out of the wind.  Fur and Feather is a fun match anyhow, everyone goes home with something.  So the draw gets underway.

I avoided the crush and chose from the last 4 tickets to get A section - Cottage and perm peg 6.  Not the best but wind at my back and pleasant company either side of me in H Harris - left - and Phil Jenkinson on my right.  Dave Griffiths (10) is on the Lake flier, with Docs to his right.

My peg has no edges to fish but I can fish a waggler or method across to the island.  Nevertheless, I plumb up a top 5  swim in front of me. 16 Mtrs long and at 10 o'clock with soft 4 mill pellet and ground bait pinkie at 11 mtrs 2 o'clock.


Twenty minutes on the method against the island with nothing. So come back to the long pellet swim and a further 15 minutes without a bite. Shorter still over the ground bait and I get my first bite over the using a little red worm. The elastic just keeps going and going and the expected skimmer turns out to be a Carp. Ping and its a gonner, and the rig is trashed. Feed a little and set up a new rig. H to my left is also in and his grey hydro is visiting several different grid references refusing to come in.  I accuse him of show boating and tell him to get it in which after posing for a pic he does.

Its a cracker and goes about 6 lb. I'm back in and away again and this time I land a 3 lb pup.  Every dog has his day and today could be my woof day, me thinks. H has another and a skimmer and I am in with the elastic full out again, ping another gone and left with a scale on the hook.

It goes quite for a while so I ping the method out with pinkie and wham the tip is around .  H has two more but I feel if I am catching him .  Too long now between the fish.  Phil on my right has had one bite one fish, Dave Griffiths has had a lump but most except for H seem to be struggling.  The waggler is productive but to be honest with the low winter sun in my face and bouncing of the water I am sure I am missing bites.

Get up for a pee, but cant find my .... you know what....... amongst the layers and layers of clothes and thermals.  And of course it is a cold day!!!! Whilst fighting to find my............  I notice two other proper fighting cocks. Really making the feathers fly at this Fur and Feather match.

 Back on my peg and a time check, I realise the day has disappeared and we only have 45 minutes left. After losing another on the waggler and getting my method stuck in the chalk cliff face of the island. I come back on the pole.  Desperate to catch anything I stick a silvers rig on and a single pinkie.  The float dips and the elastic rips out.  I have two hopes, no hope and bob hope of getting this back but after 5 minutes I have a 9 pounder near the net when it decides to rip and straighten the barb less Kamasan size 20. H gets another lump and a skimmer down the edge, and its game over.

Weigh in gets under way with 2 dry nets on this bitter cold day. H has a good 30 lb and me half of that.  Told everyone I was second on lake didn't realise the last to weigh in pipped me so I was third. Cant blame lost fish as if H had landed all his he would have 40 lb +. No hard feelings H is a terrific fella and a worthy winner of the lake.


B section and inner snake. my mate and fellow Pewsey angler Chris Glover is the man, here. With Group Chairman Kev East a close second


Onto the outer and Bri Shutler should have this on perm peg 46. A rare slip up as he bags a carp in the last 10 minutes to back up his silvers.Graham Dixon and fellow Pewsey angler Danny Jones leading the way with 11 and 10 kilos respectively.

On round to the back edge of the outer and D Section.
A rare blow out for Rocky, but fellow NOMADS John and Ivan hold their head high.


Final stretch down cyanide straight (Perm pegs 1 to 18) and Pete Asplen is streets ahead of everyone except Gav Bolitho.

Tough day for many comes to an end and we are back to the cafe and shop for hot turkey and cranberry baguettes, Tea / Coffee and the prize giving.  I was please for Chris Glover winning from a tough section , nice feeling to beat talented anglers.  With Danny, H, me and Brian 5 anglers in top 14 out of 55 Pewsey showed well.

Happy with my 12th it won me a box of quality street, posh chocs and mince pies etc. The wife will be pleased. 

Doing Santa for the Army this Saturday and then Back on the "cut" (or the ditch as my mate Chas calls it)  Sunday. Pewsey Wharf.  See you there.



No comments:

Post a Comment