Sunday 17 November 2013

Pewsey Winter League - tight as a ducks ass

What a day.  Van wouldn't start!!! Too heavy to push with all the kit in, but with a superhuman effort (I am so muscular) managed to get it on to my drive slope.  Thought I would role it out of the way and transfer kit to my car. Who says you cant bump a diesel, as I picked up speed I dropped the clutch and she chugged in to life.  Rev the shit out of her and the black smoke billowed into the dank morning air.

Draw was earlier today so barely time for a bacon butty and cold tea.  There was nervous tension among the lads, and the confidence that we were going to over haul Radcot and ISIS, was not so strong. We were third going in to the match Radcot top 97 points, Isis 2nd on 96 and P1 third on 95.  Chris did the draw, and we had peg 4.  Me personally C Section in the boats. Off the Wharf.
 Boats have never been good for me.  Those that follow the blog will note our club match a few weeks ago where the boat in front of me moved and destroyed my swim.  Today it looked peaceful enough - see below.
Smoke coming from the Chimney gave me hope that the water temp would be a couple of degrees higher tight to the boat. Individual scores showed me hanging in there with 15 points In fact with 19 points in first place, I could mathematically go for the individual crown.  That is until the beginning of the match drew near.  I was really nervous, tangling rigs snapping line etc.  At one point I swung a rig plus plummet into the track to gauge the depth and the 6 oz line snapped and whole bleeding lot disapeared out of site.  Time to get up and walk away, calm down and focus.  Isis to my right and Radcot some distance to my left.  It turns out that the entire Pewsey boat community decided to pick today to shout and ball, and stomp up and down the far side, start their engines etc.  On the whistle, the boat opposite me decided to empty the contents of the shower and breakfast sink etc into my swim.  Oh No not again it cant be, nobody can be that unlucky.

 Yes they can the entire swim filled with soap scum and a milky substance, probably killing any oxygen I had.  I decided to go long to the bow of the boat in between the two boats opposite. Then the guy on the next boat starts walking about above my swim and sweeping all the leaves and branches onto my float.


Excuse me says I.  I am trying to fish here, and have paid money etc to do so.  I would appreciate a bit of consideration could you sweep it on to the path and not in to the canal!

At which point he started tell me I shouldn't be fishing by the boats, bye laws state no fishing by the boats.

I don't want to get into a conflict, says I just trying to get some consideration.  Well says he better tell you then that I will be moving in a minute, and a while after that I will be moving back in.

Great lightning does strike twice and that is the end of my day.  Oh woe is me, how can life be so cruel.  The worst feeling descended on me as I realised I was going to blow out and let the lads down.  I was gutted.  He seemed to enjoy making as much noise as possible after that until eventually he did move and completely destroyed my swim and those to my right.  Isis Guy to my right Phil Rice did have fish in the net but I was blanking.  Steve Dean was up to around 6 or 8 ounces so he was doing well for Pew 2.  Go Stevie if I cant catch you need to shoulder the weight and knock back Isis and Radcot.

 Bank runners Leo, Jim and Pete White sympathised and passed on the news that it was as tight as a ducks ass in the other sections.  I tried everything to get a bite.  Off the bottom, down the track, laying on, far side shallow, squat, pinkie, punch and even twitching a worm along the bottom to entice a Perch.  Which did result in a suicidal 2 oz Perch, hurrah of the mark and not blanking.

Punch bought two more roach and I was up to about 3 ounces.  Then the idiot with the boat came back.  What a plank, not wanting to go and turn around he was reversing the entire length of the canal, bumping into boats, completely out of control. Ruining everyone's swim.

 At one point he had the back end of his boat in his spot and the front (bow) right across the canal sideways, what a twat.  He had completely mullered mine and every ones swim to the right.  Problem was I had 3 oz Isis had about six, and whilst neither of us caught for the next three hours I need to overhaul him. Radcot Guy to my left some way down was on a pound + apparently.  C'mon Steve beat the Isis guy.  I was beside myself anything for a fish, please god smile on me.

One good thing all the boaters had gone home or packed up, and for the last 20 minutes peace reigned. I pinged squat against the boat opposite and slid my rig in tight, so tight you couldn't get a fag paper between the boat and my rig.  In failing light the rig slid away and I had a roach back again quickly and another.  Phil (Isis) was now panicking, and said your catching me know.  One more fish before the whistle.  I was distraught, oh know I have completely let down the lads, how can I face them.

I piled the stuff up the bank and pulled the platform out of the clinging blue clay mud.  I don't think I have felt so low in such a long time.   Back to the French Horn and nervous laughter , beer and bags of crisps. Tales of "if only" and bloody boaters were exchanged whilst the scores were totted up.
Above both the teams well almost couple of people not in frame.  Good to get both teams in, well done Pewsey 2 and 1 everyone has contributed throughout this competition.  A real club effort.  No sponsorship here, reminded me a little of the old Ushers league.  Can you remember that?

Brian Shutler wins section for P2 with Mike Marsden picking up 4 points.  Radcot and Isis lagging

James Carty and Si Irwin P1 and 2 respectively tying for 2nd with 2 lb 1 oz.Radcot last and Isis struggling.

 My section amazingly the three fish in the last 5 minutes meaning I wasn't on 1 point for last, but tied on three points with Isis A and B.  Result, and thanks to my mate John Dewberry and Leo who I felt were on my shoulder saying fish as best you can till the bitter end.  Sadly Radcot won the section but well done Stevie Dean P2 for his 4 points and knocking back Isis further.
Paul Giddings takes the section for Isis, Radcot 2nd, and Kev Chubb only just behind for P1 in third.  Well done Martin almost got the Isis B.

Go Spanners a good 5 points and and Dave Hillier 3 points knocking Radcot back.

 Top weights from this section, including a bloody Gold fish would you believe. Yes a Goldfish on the canal whatever next. Radcot win here bad news but Chris and Si Burden do well.  Chris (Captain Fantastic) gets section by default.


 Well done Lee Pollard (Lechlade) individual winner of the comp.  But after much tension the scores are totted up for the team event. We have overhauled Isis and they are third and we amazingly are tied with Radcot on 119 points.  Rules are checked and we take it based on count back weight, having 10 lb + more over all the matches.
Yes get in there you beauty.


 Back to clubland matches next week.  Wilcot straight section.  Hope I don't get a boat. Ended up 11th with 18 points 6 points of the top place.  Well done to all the Pewsey boys


No comments:

Post a Comment