Sunday 3 November 2013

North Wessex Winter League - Pewsey close in on Radcot

Stormy night meant many floods again! Branches down and dustbins in the middle of the road.  I was glad to go north through and leave the black brooding thunder clouds over Salisbury in my rear view mirror.  In front of me the weak winter sun tried hard to ignite a bright late autumn day.

Team dilemma for Captain Chris, Si Irwin had fished well at the last match and deserved a place in team 1, but Leo was back so who to drop.  Not an easy decision so I offered reluctantly to fall on my sword.

  I was deep in thought regretting my offer,  my mind not really on the road when a Roe deer ran right to left, across me in Savernake.  How I missed it I don't know.  Before I had gone another 50 yards, and wondering if I had left a deposit in my shorts; two more Muntjac deer, ran the other way left to right.

Heart thumping and wondering if I had used my luck for the day, talking of luck, well done to Gummy in Reids tackle.  On entering the tackle shop yesterday he greeted me with delight.  " I won a £100.00 on you mid week" he says.  Turns out he had put £10.00 on a horse called "Fat Gary" at 10 to 1. It romped home.  Tight git wouldn't share though.

I joined a queue of traffic on the straight road between Marlborough and our meeting place at Chisledon Garage.  In the queue ahead where several of the lads, and there lives were put at risk by a dodgy driver who didn't understand that pulling over to overtake, when you have a slow car and traffic is bearing down from the the other direction is not a good idea.  I hate pillocks like that, bet he was still pissed from last night, he was all over the place and like I say risking the lives of everyone else.

On arriving at the meeting, news that Leo was not turning out as his back injury had flared up, left me feeling pleased to be back in team 1, but feeling sorry for Leo and Team 2 who were now 1 short.

Chris did the draw and we got peg 4 not 5 , that makes a change.  Another change meant I was not fishing next to Si Burden.  I had A section down stream from Grafton Lock, boat Yard.
Boat Yard
My Swim force 8 gale square in my face. 10 feet of water right below me.
Looking back up stream to peg 3 and 2.  As you can see lovely slack in peg 3s inside. shame you cant fish up stream!  5 foot drop to the water no chance of getting in without rope and tackle. The bank I was on was crumbling a little under my feet so I was dubious about getting too close.  Had to though other wise my keep net wouldn't reach the water.

On chatting with the home team Radcot guys it seems that mine is a good pleasure peg but doesn't produce in matches.  Bream are known to be in the swim and bread picks up the occasional chubb.

The all in and I decided to cup in with a tin of hemp and 5 balls of ground bait laced with Caster and squat.  The match progresses and the local lads are all fishing feeder on the pole.  In short the wind which didn't relent all day and was square in my face was making presentation difficult.  Waggler wasn't working and ,one gudgeon on the tip.  Time to dig out 5 gram a lollipop float.  That didnt really work , needed flowing water, and whilst it was flowing , it was flowing in different directions and swirling and turbulent.

So dug out a 2 gram carbo rugby ball float.  Bulked up the shot around 8 inches from the float, fished over depth and held back.  The fish didn't seem to want big baits so I scaled down to a 22 and fished pinkie.  Couple of fish then nothing, 10 minutes later another two fish.  That's how it went and so I scraped together a small fish bag.  Occasionally trying a bigger bait or bread with no joy.  The all out is called and I cant wait to go home I was cold and uncomfortable as the stomach cramps had returned with a vengeance.

So back to the pub for a sandwich and the results.
Martin bags a double.
Scores on the doors shows me winning £20.00 for my section but more importantly 6 points (3 lb 15.5  oz) and bashing the Radcot (back to 5th) guy to close the gap. ISIS  B was second ISIS A 3rd

The normal safe bet Kev Chubb, winner of the last match struggled to 2 points with Steve Dean bringing up the rear. Radcot had a couple of Chubb to get 8 lb +
Team Captain Chris Rushton bags a monster Chubb to win the section.  Another 6 points. Poor old Martin scratches and stalls his recent improvement.

Mike Marsden grabs vital 5 points for 2nd. Derek struggles for team 2.

Roles reversed here as Si Burden picks up 5 points for team 2.  With Spanners a rare last place, perhaps he is human after all.

 Si Irwin struggles to 8.4 oz in this tough section with Stevie Hiscock dry netting.  One more fish for the Radcot guy who gains one more point with 4 drams more. If only it had gone the other way.

Overall results, Isis come through to win the match Pewsey 1 are 3rd with Clanfield / Lechlade 2nd.  Pewsey 2 as expected being one down before they even started struggled on the day.
The competition gets tight, Pewsey 1 have 94 points and have closed on Radcot by 3 points, who now have 97.  But ISIS A put in a late surge, going to 96.
 Last leg in a few weeks.  On our home venue the Canal.  Squeaky bum time.  C'mon Pewsey.

Second time this week Fat Gary has picked up.  Home for a shower and a bit of grub.  See you next week.






No comments:

Post a Comment