Sunday 17 March 2013

50 Shades of Grey!

It was a dark and stormy night and the  rain came down in torrents.  In fact it had been heavy rain since the start of the weekend.  As I opened the curtains at first light (6am) snow flakes the size of Tangerines were blocking my vision.  I let the chickens out, run the dogs out, and get back to find the flyer (van) was rapidly being covered with snow.

Started her up and went inside to get my hot foot wellies, and gortex etc.  Kit loaded I headed for Solstice park for some diesel.  Going over beacon hill the sky had turned ominously black, and the snow was falling so hard and fast visibility was around 75 yards.

Having filled up and grabbed a COSTA coffee to go, I headed down of Salisbury Plain to Witherington farm.  The ridiculously torrential rain had left floods all over the roads and driving was pretty slick in places as even with a loaded van, I aquaplaned quite a bit.

The closer I got to Withy the light improved from dark through many shades of grey to a reasonably brightish morning.  Went in for bait,breakfast and the draw.  Fingers crossed I dipped in the hand and pulled Cottage 10.  To say I was pleased is an understatement, a good peg on that lake. Decided to take the flyer round to my flyer (flyer see dictionary re great peg) round to the car park at the back save a bit of walking.


Blakey fishing into my empty peg 10
 on Cottage
That's when it all went badly wrong.  She wouldn't start, she would turnover but not fire!  Dilemma time.  Do I fish the match and then call out Britannia rescue?  Could do that but having experienced how long "rescue" can take.  I decided to call them in now. At least I could start,they wouldn't probably arrive till late.  Wrong.  Yes Sir we will be with you in 15 minutes! 20 Minutes later mechanic arrived tried for 40 minutes to get her going and then called the tow truck.  How long for the tow truck mate, I enquire.  Thought being, if its going to be hours I will still fish.  An hour sir!

Well that's torn it, better not fish.  I could have cried a decent draw and cant fish it.  I slip into a grey mood, and stomp off around to at least look at the peg.  Blakey is fishing 11, and says are you fishing mate or not.  I explain I am waiting for the tow truck and won't be fishing today.  He commiserates by doing a little dance and producing a big smile (yes Blakey smiling, wonders will never cease).  I plod round to Barnmoor accepting a selection of commiserations and open laughter / sheer enjoyment at my misfortune.  I find Mr Moody on Barnmoor 13.  Yet another good draw for him.  I am sure he would have preferred peg 12.  The old master was fishing the waggler and taking a few roach.
'The' Master Waggler Angler bar none.
 Dave suggests I wait in his shop as opposed to the cold.  I am just about to smile at his obvious concern when he mentions could I get hiss missus Christine to make him a hot Tea, and could I bring it out to him!!!  I do take his suggestion, and head for the warmth as the rain and sleet begin again.

Christine and James are in fact enjoying a brew after the morning rush; and very kindly offer me a cup. I accept, and do broach the subject of a hot brew for daddy bear on peg 13.  Cheeky git Christine responds, hes got a flask!!

After several false dawns including the original tow truck coming to get me breaking down en route, a second tow truck arrives arrives after three hours.  A final check confirms the fuel pump (big bucks me thinks) and takes me home.  Thanks to Christine and James for keeping me company, but I am cold fed up and in a very very Grey mood. Crap week at work topped off by no fishing.  If this keeps up you could find me swinging from a rope................. second thoughts with my weight problems and bad luck I would probably snap the rope. I swear if I set up in the funeral business people would stop dying!........  See you next time


No comments:

Post a Comment