Sunday 25 September 2016

Wx Winter kicks of with a mare.

For quite a while now I have been fishing well catching regularly and although I had to be coerced into fishing this years league.  I felt I could do well.

Nige Russell and Pete Gilbert took the money and did the admin whilst the rest of us took the piss out of each other; and people mused on not every ones favourite venue Sutton Benger.

I didn't draw where I wanted , but got D Section again. 4 Years in a row!!!!!! And never at the favoured weir pool end.  I do wish they wouldn't put the weir in ; it does make D Section really difficult. My peg looked OK cut out yesterday I hoped it would fish.  It was mighty tight to Eamon upstream if the tree wasn't in the way I could have touched him with my pole.  Eamon wasn't impressed and I don't blame him he only had a poles length to trot and he would be in my swim.  A complaint to the section steward (Pete Gilbert peg 2 in the weir) fell on deaf ears.  I too was not pleased , I felt for Eamon I felt he had a case, not only that it would be really easy for him to draw my fish.  I couldn't really fish down stream as the rushes to my right went so far out I wouldn't be able to see my float.

It was stagnant till half way across were it dropped of to 10 feet deep.  There was no movement at all as the swim was clogged with silk weed and cabbages, almost a still water.  Bleak pipped everywhere. Till the start and then they disappeared.  The match started with a huge commotion two pegs up.  Steve Dean had been smashed by a double figure pike.  Eamon struggled to get going with tangles and bumping fish.  Me I had a few 2 oz fish then two 6 ounce Perch on the worm under the bush opposite.  Then the minnows started, and despite using a big section of worm on a 16 hook I still couldn't shake them off.

I hooked a nice Roach which was nabbed at the net by a near double figure Pike which led me a merry dance stretching the 6 elastic to its limit before taking the fish and the hook length.  The Pike hung around for the rest of the day ramming my keep net every now and then.  Those who read the corresponding blog from last year will recognise a severe case of Dejavu here.

The Match dragged on in some horrendous down pours and near 3 hours without a bite.  Eamon had a little bit of flow in his swim, and after a slow start had overtaken me catching some nice little roach.  Me I had nothing but minnows and bleak that were not much bigger. I was staggered at the size of bait these tiny fish would take and I just could not get a bigger than 2 oz fish.  I tried hemp and tare, 3,4, and 5 mil punch.  Lobworm and double caster.  I dare not put on a maggot or pinkie it was suicide.

The end came round real quick and I knew Eamon had done me although he would only say he thought he had 3 lb.  I hoped I would be close with 30 bleak 140+ minnows and a few small Perch.  I weighed in 2 lb 11 oz and Eamon 3 lb 14.  His bigger roach doing me in the end.

Pete Gilbert in the weir one the section with 7 lb plus including Chubb (oh to catch a chubb) Brian Ballard on the first peg out of the weir was second.  My team did well with two firsts two seconds and a third before I let them down.  I will make up for it next time.  I would defy anyone to catch more than I did in the swim, and without fishing Donkey choker pellets on the hook you would have got nothing but minnows.

Thats the first one out of the way. Onwards and upwards.








No comments:

Post a Comment