Sunday 21 August 2016

Back on the Cut fishing to the sound of Leather on Willow

The wet morning followed me to the canal today, for a club match on the cut.  The canal has been overrun with moored boats, lately and with boaters thinking they own the place I was in truth not looking forward to it.  I was pleasantly surprised however to find space to fish. It meant they were spaced out in section 2 but a low/ poor turnout of 9 made it reasonably fair.
Chas Short definately not an Outcast in my eyes

I was placed having a nice space to my left.  To my right my mate the handsome and rich Mark Russ, to his right Leo and on end peg Morgan Plank.

The match got under way and almost a immediately a boat came and moored next to me right over my bait.  Couple that with the noise that ensued as he unloaded the contents of the boat onto the tow path I was not pleased.

Just got the bites going down the track when the first of two double boatings occurred leaving the swim a frothy mess.

The sound of leather on willow accompanied me from the cricket pitch opposite.  Until a good shot by Rodders caught by Geofrey, brought afternoon cream teas.  The swim settled down and I had my first bite for a while.  Mark was going great guns next to me a crayfish a chuck.

Me I had an obligatory pike take a perch, but as Jack spat it out I swung it in to the tune of Simple Minds Alive and Kicking. Leo netted a nice big skimmer , so Mark started netting every fish to try and get the psychological edge over him and I.

Much to my delight Mr Noisy to my left had finished unloading , only to be replaced by friends and colleagues to start ferrying it noisily through to the road.  The lovely fella did decide to rev and leave a goodbye present of another unfishable mud slick.

The swim was dead now and the second double boating hit home the last nail in the coffin.  I scratched away trying to keep up with Mark and Leo,  Ian to my left had a quid on with me and I needed to win it, as he was a quid up in our never ending battle.  Morgan also looked to be catching on the end peg.  Rumour had it that Brian Shuttler also had a dog Perch.

So to the end of a scratching match and what was the scores on the doors



My net was enough in the end to take the section, a pound from Ian and 4th in the match. 12 points. Unfortunately the picture of Ian handing over the dosh did not come out


So to the top three anglers on the day

Winner Brian Shutler on the left Chas second place on the right and Big boy Mike Marsden in the middle .  I had to crop the photo as Mike had shorts on and I now know why hes called big boy.  Swings like a Donkey!!!!!!  Just kidding here's the boys doing their Seventies Album cover pose.

No comments:

Post a Comment