Sunday 15 November 2015

Wx Winter on the home straight and back on the cut

Its here last round of the Wx Winter League and after a three way tie in the last round we go into the match 1 point behind Radcot.  The strength of the teams this year mean you gotta be on your game.  We have done well to fish the four river matches and still be in contention before finally getting them all back home on the cut.

It was tight in other areas as well. Individually the reigning champion was in the running again with Chris Rushton who having tied last year Brian got him on weight.  Brian Ballard Radcot was also looking favourite. Warning going to be a lot of pics in this blog.
Hanging in there myself. Could I keep up my record in this comp of finishing top 10 for the last three years?  So to the draw and Leo pulls out peg 1. Now we should jump for joy as we had pegged it to have 4 sections at Milkhouse and 2 at Wilcot  idea being consecutive pegging would reduce end pegs.  And we had 1 of them.  However as several anglers had not bothered to make the final match the equivalent of one team was missing and it turned out to be peg 7 .  Meaning there was a gap between all sections and 12 end pegs bugger.

The chopping and changing of the teams meant some casualties and poor old Dazzer and Bob Garrett found themselves dropped.

On the chopping and changing its something you get used to in this comp. However we had decided to try and fish the same team and if not for Mark Russ being on hols we would have done it. Kev Chubb very kindly filled in for the holiday boy. Left to right Spanners, Me, Chris - back - Kev, Leo, Brian

Pewsey RED kept a core of anglers , but again holidays affected and they didn't always put out a full quota. Considering they did well. Nic , Graham, Steve and Martin
So to my peg and it was the same one I drew in the wx summer league, and not a peg I am a fan of. Perm peg 15 and the style.  Not bitchin just don't like the peg.  Still head down ISIS to my left and Gary Didcot from Radcot on the squat fish rushes to his left.

The match started weirdly with several whistle blowers having a slight disagreement by a minute or so. So three whistles in the first three minutes.  Never mind we were under way and I had three small roach on punch first three drop ins.  I should say at this point that the Enviro Agency are working on the Wharf.  They have put in frames, either side and pumped out the water to start work on the Wharf walls.  So ropes across at Marlborough and Wilcot means no boats.  This was unexpected we had based our plan around coloured water..  With no boats for a week and cold nights the canal had cleared leaving a picture of clarity and a blanket of leaves on the bottom.

The only fish I could see was a Pike around 5 lb.  But then it seemed everyone had pike in their swim as Esox made hay in the clear water. 6 bites and 6 fish in the first hour all on punch then nothing for 30 minutes. Dobbing around my other swims produced nothing but twigs and leaves.  In fact it was 3 hours (1.30) before  I got another bite a tiny  Perch over the choppy line.  This was proper winter league fishing blustery , cold , clear water and scratching for ounces.

2 PM hour and half to go and I am still 7 bites and 7 fish Worryingly I can see both ISIS and Radcot scratching out tiny squat fish, and then panic Gary (Radcot) has elastic out. Obviously a better fish.  Isis on my left loses two reasonable Roach.  I am in a mild panic , because as hard as I try my swim is devoid of fish.  Radcot are back on the squat fish as is ISIS.  Me nothing!!!!  C,mon think, don't panic there is an hour to go.  On a whim I hooked out the punch again.  After all bigger baits like maggot worm and pinkie are doing nothing.  Single squat on a 24 is also bombing out.

I decided to hold off putting a nugget of licky bread in and just go over the earlier baited line. Off me seat and picked out a a slightly heavier rig that would be more stable in the wind , but with a smaller hook I went down to 2 mill bread punch. It had been in 30 seconds when it slid away. Then another and another and another. Finally the fish were there.  Suddenly flying fish in all directions and a tail walking pike crashed through.  Killed it dead. 10 fish 10 bites and 20 minutes to go. And no bites for 10 minutes. Do I stay on the bread.??? 

ISIS and Radcot still picking of the squat fish. Bugger stick with it.......... and with that the float dipped and I was in.  In fact I had 14 more fish and no missed fish in the last 20.

The weigh in of my section we walked up to peg 6. Sure enough Gary Didcot had a load of squat fish and a bonus elastic pulling Perch.  The two lost Roach by Len Baldwin meant he and I were tied for second.  Bugger needed to beat Radcot but least I didn't lose even more points. 

Brian came along with a smile to say he had won his section of A1 end peg but Radcot Radcot John Swann had second so Radcot still one point in front.


C section and how did Kev do.  His normal consistent self he had more fish than anyone but was pipped by Radcots Frank Humphries who had a bonus 10 oz Perch

Radcot nose in front again. So how did D section and Chris My Little Pony Rushton do?  On again for the individual title his job to win his section for both himself and the team.  He did another second behind Graham Godwin who again bagged the big Perch for the second match in a row.  Main thing was he picked up two points on Radcot so our noses in front again.

Back to the pub to see how Wilcot had fished.  E section first. Leo bringing home the bacon here with another section win for the Blues.  Crucially Brian Ballard tied for second.


To F section cyanide straight and Spanners .  A long face from the boy made us realise it was gonna be as tight as a ducks ass. Amazingly tight with only Tony Leach bagging several Big Perch clear and well out in front.  The top three teams well represented here with only an ounce between them. But with Chris Bowden winning out to take second over Gilbert ISIS 8 drams behind and Spanners 8 drams behind that. Oh my god that's tight.

It was with dawning realisation we realised we had tied again on the day with Radcot but with them going into the match with a one point lead they had done it. It would need a miracle for the points guys to find alternative result.

We tried to smile through the wait, with another photo which Nigel Russell bombed.

It was good to laugh and take the piss out of each other.  Its not life or death, and after what had happened in Paris this weekend certainly has to be taken in context.  There was no finger pointing or seriousness.  It was typical of the feeling that the Wx has.  Its all done in great humour but with a little bit of competitive niggle.  Thoroughly enjoyable.  I have to be honest I had sort of planned a few ideas but fair play to Radcot they were worthy winners.

Quick mention for the match winner Tony Leach, a double for him after winning the Wx Summer League Canal match as well, and this time of a 200 quid golden peg well done Tony.

Every cloud though has a silver lining.  For me I took delight as I am sure the rest of the team did in Our Little Pony Chris Rushton picking up the individual title and trophies. Under barrage of abuse cheering and clapping he collected his prizes.  With many people explaining to him that the trophy was reel but it wasn't real, so don't try and use it!!

For me personally I keep the run going of being in top 10.

So I asked this years worthy Champs to gather for a picture that I could pin to my dart board the Radcot Rascals enjoyed the moment and fair play to them.  They epitomise this comp.  Friendly but competitive.
Left to right John Swan, Frank Humphries, Gary Didcot, Chris Bowden, Brian Ballard and Keith Taylor. Downed my drink and hit the road feeling anti climatic we were so close again. Still always next year.

The journey home was accompanied by appropriate music , bit of blues from BB King "the thrill is gone" followed by the Doobie Brothers "what a fool believes" .

With the Farm singing "Altogether now". I could see my fellow team meats and I joining in with the last track before I got home. Elkie Brooks.

"Fool if you think its over"!!



No comments:

Post a Comment