Sunday 23 August 2015

Pewsey August Cut match

Tea and toast downed I climbed into the flyer and headed north.  Racing against the black clouds I met the lads  gathering in Wilcot Rd for the draw.
 The rain looked as if it might hold off at least until the draw and may be even giving us time to set up; but it was really black over Wills mothers.

An array of superstars on show today it would be a good contest.  All of the guys were hoping for the favoured swims 1 to 4 up by the bridge.  As there was not enough anglers to get down as far as the Iron bridge, the opposite end was not as attractive. As I had taken a pound of Spanners in the last canal match I was up for doubling my money and went another.

So to the draw, it would be handy if the Championship leaders Simon B and Brian Shutler drew badly for a change ; but would you credit it they drew favoured pegs 1 and 2 respectively.  With Mike Marsden and Kev Chubb getting 3 and 4.  I was demoralised before even starting.

Still never mind , head down suck it up Princess and do the best you can.

Got to my peg number 12 Paul Matrix Giddings on my right and Spanners on my left with Mark Russ taking other end peg.  First thing I did was slide in massive dog turd.  Whatever did that would need to be sewn up afterwards I am sure.
I had a boat to my right and decided to fish bread on the whip against that.  A track swim left with worm and right with maggot / pinkie.  Finally a 2 foot deep swim across.  So got the whip out of the bag and promptly snapped the very thin flick tip.  Its going well - not!

Managed to get set up before the rain started and had my pre-match pee, before the all in was called.  Spanners was in straight away and didn't stop all day.  With two early bonus fish he was already streets ahead.  PG to my right was flashing the net in and out so he was going well, and Mark was catching on the end peg.

The rain was relentless and I had that miserable situation where the rain had driven through my sensas covered side tray.  The bread was sopping, pinkies and maggots crawling everywhere.  I had a couple of "punch" fish against the boat but that was it and it was a case of rotating around the swims catching two or three squat fish bigger baits like caster or worm were tugged around by tiny gudgeon.

Still the rain poured , but there was a little brightness on the horizon and the boats took advantage and started to move...   One particularly large boat chugged through and churned it up. I flicked a rig in the swirling water and picked up a 6 oz roach hybrid.  Then no more from that line.

The sun was out and Spanners was bagging and I was sure he had more than the 2.5 lb he was admitting to.  PG had two skimmers he said as he arrived behind my peg. Allowing the three boats to come through in quick succession.  Mark lost a reasonable Perch at the net and the match moved rapidly to a close.


The sun shone briefly as the match ended with both Spanners and I catching a 3 ouncer on the whistle.  I had 64 fish for I guessed 2 lb, mostly tiny gudgeon and I reckon Spanners had three plus.  It all depended on whether PG was fibbing about his bonus fish. It would be close between Mark and I.  Wonder how the leaders had done on the flying pegs.

Lots of fish for me but no weight.  The 6 ounce hybrid dwarfing the squat fish.
 I was reasonably happy and resigned to the fact that I will have lost ground in the Championship, however a days fishing is better that work and sitting watching telly at home.

The heavens opened again as we packed away, and a wet bunch of reasonably happy anglers slipped back to their vehicles and headed home.  I managed to get a piccy of the score sheet and as expected the lower numbers had done well.  Put good anglers on good pegs and you will have to go some to beat them.

Well done to the top four , Kev the Bread winning, Spanners for his bagging session, in which he took the quid back of me.  Brian and Simon did waste their pegs and Mike gave them a run.

Nic Worters ground out another result and picked a point up on me.  Chas too had a nice Perch by all accounts.

Next week last round of the Wx Summer League at Horcott Lakes.

Hope you all had a good day and see you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment