Sunday 8 March 2015

Pewsey........... and is it the end ?

The last match of the Pewsey 2014/15 Season.  Its on the lake.  Tomorrow is the AGM and its prize giving time.  Unfortunately Although its is still mathematically possible to win the Lake Championship I've blown it this year.  It goes to show its the one with consistent stamina . The guys who even on a bad day make the best of their peg.

I maintain I have had a dreadful year in the draw bag and that has not helped.  Its not called midsection blues for nothing, but I am beginning to wonder if an end peg(s) are a myth.  That's not an excuse but the game can be dreadfully unfair I think.


I am not going to cry into my bait container, and I will try and hang onto the the positives. It looks like Brian Shutler will do it. Fair play to him there are times this season where I think he could have caught in a puddle.  He has over the years coined the unfair nic name of lucky Bri.  It is true that he draws well.  Or does he? I would offer a different perspective, whatever he draws he gets the best out of the peg. That's called skill.

For me end of season is a funny time.  There have been times this year when I really think I have been really good.  My fellow team mates will I am sure say if they were honest, I play my results down and will often pick others ahead of myself for team events, when in fact I am worthy of the place.  That aside I have had some shockers, and certainly some shocking pegs.  Ultimately I am fishing better now than I have done for a while, but is it good enough after all second is only the best of the losers.........and even second is not certain.

As for Pewsey I will be standing down as Lake match secretary, at the AGM. I am uncertain of my Pewsey future, but one thing I am certain of is that the club is the best.  The Chairman and all the committee have done wonders in the last three years to bring in so many members and promote such a thriving match scene.  In a time of sponsorship and massive open matches. Pewsey has led the light in all the non sponsored local clubs in putting team after team into competitions, when many other clubs are struggling to get a side together; or even maintain a membership.

Fact is Pewsey is more than a bunch of blokes having a laugh ( and boy do they do that well) they have established anglers that are hard to beat.  Even better anglers that are really improving and pushing hard for their place in the team.
Improving - the proof from Blanker last year to netful's this year

 Put the two together and the futures bright for Pewsey well done to Leo Pocock, Ian Spanswick and Chris Rushton and their friends and predecessors on the committee.

To the match................

Poorest turn out of the year, which was a shame.  But the competitiveness of those who are out of the running in the club championship, meant they were all practicing for an up coming comp to give them the edge in being picked for the team.  The rest of us got to it with a quick draw, and start fishing.  After a reasonable result mid week, I was hoping to finish this season with a respectable result. Brian's 1.5 oz roach in the last minute of the the last lake match meant he was a couple of points ahead of me instead of a couple of points behind. We can both catch Simon so who knows how it will end.

I put in pegs 15 back to 7 in the hope that i would draw double figured peg and maybe on the carp.  The golden peg was 13 a real chance that would go today.  As for me I got 12 one of the the GP, but a good peg. I had Jim Broomham next to me on the right on the Golden peg, but that was safe because Jim wont go in the golden peg draw.Brian then Martin on the end. On my left Simon the lake comp just needing not to blank.

The match comes around and I have set up 3 rods, and 4 top kits for the pole. I put the feeder out first to try and mug a carp.  Instead I found myself dragging in a tree branch which had at least 3 feeders and up to 6 floats attached.  I got it half way across the lake to find it was also attached to an over head tree as it came to the surface again and was suspended between tree and me. Bugger need to get this pile of crap out, but my line snapped and the whole sorry mess sank into the middle of the swim..  It was then I noticed as the light got better the various lines etc hanging down from trees opposite into the water.

It was clear I was not going to be able to fish nearly a third of my swim due to other anglers lost tackle.  A  work party is required!!

 The day dragged on and much to the surprise of all of us no one was catching. We all thought after a couple of mild days it would start to fish after the misery of the last couple of ice ravaged matches.  Brian opposite the rushes is into a carp and loses it just as quick. Phew!

Martin on the end has several small fish and I have 2 tiny fish.  2 Hours in and Jim has had a few tiny fish on the waggler, Brian has lost a second Carp Phew again!  Simon is still to catch in fact no one to the left of me has had even a bite. I have picked up 6 more and appear to be leading Jim by an ounce or two.  Just need Simon to blank and finish ahead of Brian and its looking good.

Brian has a Rudd. and Martin a few more.  If it stays like this then I could overhaul both of them and actually win the Lake Champs. Once again I have managed to hook the snag that sunk in the middle of the lake and pulling free my float had buried itself in my cheek. Claret everywhere for a bit as I pull the shot out of my cheek, but I got there.




Not to be though, Simon has just netted the one fish he wanted to make him unassailable and a worthy Champ this year.  So its down to going for second.  With 2 hours to Jim has a Perch of a pound and Martin has a few more.  Brian is sticking it out for the Carp, and I am not sure he realises if it stays like this I have him.

James Cary pops in for a chat and I start to pick up some tiny fish by fishing squat and laying on by 4 inches. With an hour to go I am looking good incrementally building a weight with tiny fish. Oh for a skimmer or big roach. Jim starts to catch a few which is a blow, add theta to his Perch and I am in trouble.  The last 20 minutes or so is a killer my bites dry up Brian hooks three Goldfish and Will who has sat there all day with 6 maggots on a 14 gets a Carp.

I end with 33 fish for 1 lb 1.5 oz.

Jims pound Perch gives him the section and Brian's Goldfish are enough to squeeze him in front of me by 2 oz - bugger. Martin had one Goldfish and a few tiny fish for 14.5 oz. Chris went home halfway through the match complaining of no bites Roly and Steve stuck it out but they dry netted as well.



So that's it Wills one Carp wins it, Simon's 4.5 oz was enough for him and Brian's Goldfish means  end up 4 th in the match and third in the Lake champs and again one of the money. Well done to all as for me some thinking to do.

Interesting to see the Perch was full of Milt so there close to spawning, and the Carp above had spawning marks on its gills and around the eyes.

Jim left, Will right and Brian in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment