Sunday 21 September 2014

Wessex Winter League R1 Sutton Benger

Jumped into the flyer and pulled away struggling with deteriorating steering. Power steering knackered and new steering rack needed; but it will have to do.  Katy Perry first on the sounds today with your Hot and your cold.  Which was apt really as the yesterdays humidity and thunderstorms had been replaced by a fresher colder morning.

Had the dance vibes blasting and music from the 80,s including Lionel Richie , Five Star, Chaka Khan and Imagination was making me dance in my seat.  Clearly the bump and grinding to "Body Talk" by Imagination was arousing the local ladies as a large crowd of Lycra clad ladies were running towards me.  It was like an Lynx effect advert loads of women running straight at me.  Whoa'' ladies one at a time, the love Walrus has time for you all.

My mistake its the Tidworth Joggers passing by.  Still their loss.

Arrived at the White Hart in Lyneham for the draw. Had all the team sheets printed and a booking in sheet done to save the organizers time.  Need not have bothered. Handed over the £396 for the three teams. Sorry says Pete the organiser cant accept that its not on my paperwork.  No says I thought it would save time. Sorry no do it on mine. Teams registered I asked for the pools sheets. Filled them out and stepped up to pay the £60 pools for each team.  Sorry says Pete cant accept the pools money till you've filled out the Captains Cards !!!!!!  Your having a tin bath says I , but he was adamant. So away to fill out Captains cards.

Finally after a prolonged brief I drew Peg one for our team, which after a shuffle left me with C1.  Bugger wanted D1 the flier below the weir but that one went to Steve Trevett fellow team mate.  Still not to worry C1 should be in front of the tress and they are know Chubb pegs.  Not to be though I was above the Chubby pegs and my peg had apparently been dug out by ISIS club with a JCB this past week. All feature removed it was a featureless peg. Blast this was going to be a grind.
Some 20+ meters wide it was 5 feet at my feet then 6 foot all the way till 6 feet from far bank when it shallowed to 5 feet again.  Not one single feature in my entire trot.  Isis guy goes by to say nice peg now isn't it we dredged it out this past week.  Delightful.

To my right and downstream it looked wonderfully Crabtree like with loads of chubby looking bushes hanging in the water overhanging trees and  and much more appealing.  On my left I had Leo from Pewsey 2 ( two weeks in a row pegged next to Leo)  he was looking forward to the match and hoping the entertainment was going to be like last week with me placing wagglers in the trees.  Unlucky Leo no trees this time for me.  He on the other hand hand a smashing looking swim overhanging trees etc if much more shallow than mine.

Still a little Karma.  Ten minutes before the match I here cussing as Leo adorns the tree opposite with his first waggler.  Just had to get up and go along and say " nice decorations mate".

The feeble whistle indicated the start and I put in 4 x bait droppers of hemp and choppy. Minimal movement meant it wouldn't go far down stream. So I dropped in the Dino 0.75 float with worm and waited for the float to move either down stream at snails pace or to slide away.  After two trots in 15 minutes I changed to a bronze maggot.  The float dipped and the 6 elastic pulled out and went up stream and a nice 12 oz chublett graced the landing net.  Three more roach and nothing. Change to punch bread and three more roach. An hour in know and I am struggling.  Leos barely had a bite and Martin above has had nothing.  Down stream the two ISIS boys on home water were trotting under the willows and had already been rewarded with a chubb each.  Guy below has been led a merry dance by a monster tench before being snapped.  

I try the wagg across up in the water to try and get some Bleak at least but after 25 trots through at different depths . I put the rod behind me and go back on the 11 meter line.  Trying over depth and holding back I scratch a couple more Roach and a bumble Bee Perch. before another barren hour.  God this is a grind; and its not helping knowing ISIS guy is on his 5th Chubb.  The all out is called and whilst I had scratched well (fish every 20 minutes)I barely had 2 lb  and had a feeling was well last in my section.
Packed away I walk down to Brian Shutler (Pewsey 2) on peg 8 just above the weir.  Inevitably Brian has a Chubb ( good anglers never fail to produce and Brian is good , very good)2 lb + and a good few small fish but has struggled.  Lee Knight (Pewsey 3) also has a clonking Chubb 3 lb+ and bits, as well as stories of further lost Chubb.
Further Large Chubb feature and in the end I did well to get 5th in section and 4 points.  The rest of the score sheets are as follows.
Chris Rushton wins A section. Well done Chris

Well done to Spanners picking up second
Steve Trevett makes the most of the best peg on the river and takes his section.

Chris Glover takes his section with Kev Chubb mid section and Si Burden 3rd.


Danny Jones keeps up the pace winning his section.

So know for the team sheet.

 The five Chubb man Paul Rice from my section wins with 13 lb 11 oz. Danny was second, Steve T third and Chris Rushton fourth.  With Mike Marsden and Chris Glover getting sections as well a good day all around.  Swindon ISIS win it with 36 points, Pewsey 1 second with 35 points. Pewsey 2 third 5 points behind and Pewsey 3 tied 4th with Radcot.  So a fine start to the Winter League campaign.


A delighted Chris with a pound from Mike Marsden and 4th in match. Well done Chris.  Next week back on the cut at Milkhouse for the Pewsey Championship.









No comments:

Post a Comment