Sunday 19 January 2014

Brownie points leave me all of a quiver

No match this weekend so took the opportunity to build up Brownie points; lots of DIY jobs for the wife.  Went to Reid's tackle yesterday to get some bait for the mid week match and just in case I could go today.  Picked up my normal bag of items happy to see the water going down at Withy and surprised to see a few in the tackle shop. Shouldn't really be surprised I suppose because its a quality shop with all needs covered.
Having amassed some brownie points with the wife I hovered and fidgeted around the house until she eventually said " oh for Christ sake go fishing your driving me mad". 

Before she could blink I was loaded and on my way. 10.10 am late start but at least I was on the way.  Where to though, fancied quiver tip fishing at Shearwater , but too late for that now. So plumped for the Pewsey Lake to see if the skimmers that were stocked on Friday were showing yet.

The sun shone and the Ipod playlist was full of happy tunes, The Cure "its Friday and I'm in Love". ELO "Mr Blue Sky" Tom Petty "Running down a Dream" Transvision Vamp "I want your love" and finally Katy Perry
 " I kissed and a girl and liked it" - just in case your reading Mrs Moody the last girl I kissed was you at Christmas and "I liked it - too" Dave your a lucky man.!  Beautiful day and a blue sky shone over a water logged Pewsey Vale.

By 11.00 hrs I was fishing.  I decided to leave the pole in the bag and get and fish the quiver tip. Fellow Pewsey member Robin Pearce was on the end peg so I plumped for the pipe swim.  Opposite end of the lake to where the fish were stocked on Friday.  Lets see if they have traveled far.

I know I can catch on the pole in matches (last week forgotten) on this lake, but thought I would experiment with different methods and bait etc. Set up the 11 foot New Era Milo bomb rod, running line with small cage ground bait feeder. My MAP feeder reel (ditched the braid) and popped on a very low stretch mono line - trying it on the advice of my tackle shop owner.  Mixed up some very sweet ground bait mixed in some choppy caster and a few yellow maggots.


The action was slow to start with but as the bait started to build the tip started to twitch for the first time.  The fish were small to start with,
but there was the occasional bonus Perch.  Bonus in deed, two of them were 1.5 lb + their bellies were as fat as a football and looked fit to burst. On rolling the first fish on its back it leaked a couple of eggs.  Keith the bailiff was behind me and he said it looked as if it would spawn soon.  I think it is too early , but with both fish I put them straight back as opposed to netting them just in case.

 A change from yellow maggot to worm brought more quality 12 oz Perch; but no skimmers yet.  I was impressed with the low stretch line.  It was as good as braid I thought showing up every little tap.  I may never go back to braid when feeder fishing.
 Robin on the End peg came along for a chat as did Dave Reynolds to join Keith high on the bank behind me.  The conversation led to matches and fishing with pinkie etc.  To prove the point that pinkie was a given on this lake; I set up a five meter whip, ball of bait and handful of pinkie.  Long rig to hand and within seconds small fish were coming to hand. Had to stop as the tip went around again and another quality Perch graced the net.

Robin went back to his peg adjusted his set up went for it with plenty of bait, and then a shout as the first of the New  skimmers graced his net.

So they have traveled right to this end of the lake already good news hope they spread evenly and I can get a few.
 After recording the fish on film for the website, I went back to my peg and upped the ground bait.  Lets see if I can bag me one of the new fish. After a quite spell and a thought that I might have frightened them of the tip banged sharply and another small fish came to hand.  

Si Burden (our President) arrived to fish the small pond, as he stood behind me the tip pulled confidently again and it was better fish.  I confidently said it was a quality Perch as the sharp head dogging taps indicated it was.  Si said I should go to specsavers, he could see it and it was one of the new skimmers.  Brilliant they were on the ground bait.
  A few more little un's and one more like above and I decided to call it a day.  Just gone three o'clock. Lovely 4 hours, could have caught way more on the "Waggler" or Pole I am sure, but it was good to experiment and practice a different method.  The bait mix had taken a while but proved to work well.  Who needs pinkie squat and hemp.  The new skimmers are a shot in the arm for the Lake, it was great to catch various sizes instead of just tiddlers.

As I packed away even the Carp were beginning to roll and flip on the surface.  I reckon I had around 6 lb in the net, plus the two big Perch ( not netted eggs leaking) which would combined be around three pounds. So close to nine pound in 4 hours lovely.
So happy man to be catching again.  Look forward to my midweek match and then back on the Canal Championship hunt next weekends.  Does life get better.....?

Big smile on my face as I drive home in the dry sunshine, Van Halen, Cher, Bob Marley and Snoop Dog blaring.  A roast dinner waiting for me, a great day - for a change. Sorry if you tuned in hoping for a disaster!




No comments:

Post a Comment